6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

All,As our current print run is nearing its end, I have been spurred to update the WW2 Data Book. The Data Book was originally formatted by Jon Coulter and done in Word Perfect format. Well, Jon has retired from ODGW and all of the ODGW staff use MS Word. So I have had to convert the all of the files to Word. So having to do this, I have updated the format to the same as the SCW, WW2 Secret Weapons and WW1 Data Books, encorporated equipment additions, and fixed errata that has been pointed out and found. I am also going to work on finishing the long promised add-on countries of Italian Co-Belligerents, Mexico, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland and Turkey. These countries are basically done except for TO&E, so once TO&E has been located they won't take long to finish.One big note on the updated book is that a few of the chapters (minor countries like Slovakia and Latvia) that were in the current book will be relegated to Download Only to keep the price of the book the same. This is due to the newly updated format. The content will be immediately available via the website in the update countries folder. :)

#2 Harlan Garrett

Harlan Garrett

Private

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Bob,I am looking forward to the arrival of the 2.2 World War II Data Book. Harlan

#3 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

Well, it's finally done. I have completed the book to meet the standards of my previous Databooks. As I noted in my first post and on the Front page news, I did have to relegate 10 countries to download only status for the new PRINT Version of the book. These coutries are:BelgiumChinaCroatiaCzechoslovakiaDenmarkHollandLatviaNorwaySlovakiaThailandYugoslaviaThese countries are in the ONLINE complete download of the book, so if you download the entire book you will have them integrated into your PDF book. If you buy a new version (this book will have Version 2.2 at the bottom of each page of the book withe the copyright info) which will start showing up at our shipper in around a month or so, you will have to download these countries from the Private Acces Library -> Mein Panzer 2 -> World War 2 Data Book -> Bonus Countries Folder if you want to add them to your book.I hope to be adding another set of Bonus Countries in the near future. These Countries are:Italian Co-BelligerantsMexicoSpainSwedenSwitzerlandTurkeyThese countries are almost done, save the TO&E, as I haven't been able to find anything yet. As soon as I get TO&E added I will add them to the Bonus Countries Folder and post a a News notice.I want to thank Harlan and Mark for their posting of errata. Much of it was incorporated into the latest version. I also want to apologize to Mark for not waiting for his review of Romania, as I was running out of time and Product and had to get this out. I will still take the updates to Romania and update the chapter at a later date as time permits.Now Korea calls... :)

#4 Harlan Garrett

Harlan Garrett

Private

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

Great Job Bob!

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

Thanks Harlan! :)

#6 Harlan Garrett

Harlan Garrett

Private

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

Bob,Here is some information that I found on Achtung Panzer! (http://www.achtungpa...es/bulpanth.htm) about a shipment of Panthers that Bulgaria received from the Soviet Union. Sorry I did not get this information to you prior to publishing the new 2.2 WWII Data Book. Happy War Gaming,HarlanIn early 1945, single Tank Battalion with three brigades (two medium tanks and single heavy tank brigade) was formed and was to be part of the 1st Bulgarian Army (part of the 3rd Ukrainian Front). All the vehicles to equip those units were captured German vehicles delivered by the Soviet Union. On March 17th of 1945, first Panther was delivered. The crews of the First Tank Battalion arrived from Sofia to the frontline in Hungary on April 11th of 1945. Three days later at Pana Deveger they received their Panthers from the Soviet forces - total of 15 tanks (including the single one delivered in March). Crew training started immediately under the supervision of Soviet instructor. Crews liked their tanks but complained about Soviet radio equipment and requested that the German radios were to be delivered. The end of the war came before Bulgarian crews finished their training so they never entered active service. At the end of May of 1945, Bulgarian Panthers were taken by train to Sofia and transferred to the First Tank Brigade. On March 1st of 1946, there were 15 Panthers in service including 14 functional and one in need of repairs. From 1945 to 1948, Soviet Union supplied Bulgaria with 738 armored fighting vehicles - 398 T-34/85 tanks and 340 SU-76M self-propelled guns. Further use of 15 Panthers became pointless. Panthers were then burried along the Bulgarian-Turkish border as pillboxes, while their Maybach engines were removed. It was planned to mount them in locomotives but it was not realized. The total of Panthers delivered to Bulgaria is well known - 15 vehicles including early and late Ausf Ds, Ausf A and Ausf G. Bulgarian Panthers were painted in the standard "Russian grass green" as they were repaired and repainted before being delivered to Bulgarians.. In addition to Panthers, Bulgarians also used other German armored fighting vehicles including PzKpfw IVs. Article by Theodor Muchowski based on article "Medium Tank Panther in the Bulgarian Army" by Kaloyan Matev, "Model" Magazine, No.3/99.

#7 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

I originally did not add them as they never actually made it into service before the war ended. However, I can add them with a note or add them to the WW2 Secret Weapons book. We'll see... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users