• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Gustavsson

Michael Gustavsson

Private

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hi all!Nowadays I play GQ3 solo, well mostly. It works but itŽs not as fun as playing against an opponent. Since I probably isnŽt the only one in this situation IŽm curious about how others handle GQ3 solo. My first step is to ignore the plotting, instead I want to use an Initiative die roll (IDR) which I used when having an opponent. The IDR we used was simple, the player with the highest roll moved last. Now, I thinking of using a table where the IDR is modified based on different things such as speed, mission, detection and command. This IDR would let things get out of my control a bit and serve as an AI. I donŽt now if this work but I must try to find a way to make this great game playable and fun solo. When playing I do use standing orders for both sides but once sighted and the fighting started they have little impact on the tactical battle. Suggestions any one?Thanks,Michael

#2 Styrbjorn Gren

Styrbjorn Gren

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

HiLike you, I play solitaire only and have come up with this system (players of Task Force, ASL and games from Quarterdeck Games will recognize parts of it at least). It is based on an initiative DR which is then modified by different values Changes to the game turn sequenceShips no longer move at the same time:Side A moves all ships œ of their move, fractions rounded upSide B movesSide A moves the remaining parts of its moveIf you, like me, play solitaire you can combine the two moves of side A into one so that side A moves first and then side B.Determining side A and BRoll 2D6 per side and calculate the sum. LOWEST DR wins and gets to choose to be side A or B. Modifiers to the DR sum:Best leader on this side: +/- ?No of leaderless formations: + #Scenario assigned modifier: +/- ?You can now assign a leader to one or more ships and give them a value from -3 for an exceptionally gifted leader to +1 which is more or less a neutral leader. Adding for example a -1 and a 0 leader to a destroyer unit with say six ships will allow it to split into two units without changing the modifier. Adding a scenario assigned modifier can be used to show one side being unprepared and taken by surprise. This modifier can also change from game turn to game turn. Note that unless you break formation the value usually remains the same and you do not need to recalculate it every game turn.A nice twist is the following: if the sum including modifiers differs by four or more, combat resolution is not simultaneous, the lowest roller gets to fire and resolve the results before the other side gets to reply. This makes exceptional leaders (-2 or -3) very valuable indeed. A variation which is more difficult to remember to apply is to let only the ships under the command of the best leader both fire and resolve before the other side can respond. I have tried letting the low roller in these circumstances also fire torpedoes after ship move is completed. The torpedoes move œ their range the current turn and the rest the following. Leadership and surprise now become very important, perhaps even too much so, but it may be worth trying. Hope this is of some use/Styrbjörn

#3 Michael Gustavsson

Michael Gustavsson

Private

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

Tackar!I will try this out. I like the idea of having the initiative side fire first, if he gets a good roll and the non-initiative side fires last on a bad roll. I will also try to add modifiers to the visual sighting ranges as well as a Sigma. I recieved my copy of The Solomon Campaign today and IŽll see how I can put things together.Michael Gustavsson

#4 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

Michael,I am in the same boat as far as lack of face to face opponents go. A gentleman on the Seekrieg yahoo group site has created a Vassal module that allows the playing of Naval miniatures using his ship tracking module on vassal. I have tried it solo and it works quite well. It allows you to place ships, use a compass rose for direction, rulers for movement, as well as 5 degree increments of ship rotation, smoke and various other useful tools.If you are willing to give it a go I would be interested in trying it by email. I should warn you I am not very experienced in Vassal or GQ3. Bill

#5 Styrbjorn Gren

Styrbjorn Gren

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

BillI would be happy to attempt a play by mail scenario if Michael is not interested. Or perhaps we could try a scenario with three players if you believe it could be done without it becoming too complex. I also am new to Vassal and have never played GQ III with an opponent./Styrbjörn Gren

#6 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

Bill,If you can, please post the Vassal details here. I have limited experience with Vassal, but this sounds like a great tool for players to use for email play of GQIII. I understand Vassal is not all that difficult.Cheers,Gregory

#7 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

I've just emailed the person who constructed the module to see if he minds me passing it on here. It should be no problem but I thought I should enquire first. I'll also post on the yahoo GQ site.I think it is a great tool for those of us who otherwise would not be able to play anything other than solo. With a referee it will allow players to play the Solomons Campaign online, or any homemade campaign, as well as just single engagements.As far as opponents I am quite eager to give it a try against anyone who is interested. I think it is best to try a small engagement first. (CL & 2DD ?) If this works as well as it appears I think grand campaigns become quite possible to play with a referee. (which I would volunteer for myself) There are a few campaign ideas in the yahoo site in the files section that look interesting as well.Vassal can be found here. http://www.vassaleng...y/index.phpBill

#8 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

I'm a Cyberboard person myself. Never tried Vassal. I have to admit doing up a game box for GQ never really entered my mind. One of the main reasons I'm primariily a miniatures gamer, vice a boardgamer, is - the miniatures. I have played a couple of games of Fire in the Sky (which I highly recommend BTW) with a buddy of mine via Cyberboard.However, I can see some utility, besides facilitating players who don't have others near by to play. For instance, if you were doing The Solomon's Campaign, or something similar, you could use Cyberboard/Vassal to resolve, or at least keep track of, the carrier battles. I've used Cyberboard to facilitate campaigns before, but it was for the campaign movement, not the tactical battles.

#9 Michael Gustavsson

Michael Gustavsson

Private

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Thanks guys!I will check this out. IŽve never played a PBM before but would be very interested. IŽll be back when I had take a look at it.Michael

#10 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hi guys,I am ready to give the vassal module a try with whomever is interested. I think we should start with a small battle and move from there.The two options are just 2 of us each taking turns moving first or second orThree of us with one as a referee getting movement, Torpedo launches etc from the players then the referee moving the ships and sending the results back to the players.I am not experienced with vassal other than solo so if anyone who has experience with it would referee the first game that would be nice. If no one is experienced with it I could referee the first game and do my best.Anyone interested?Bill

#11 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

Bill,I have minimal experience with VASSAL. Can you send a link for the module? I would like to get a look at it.Cheers,Gregory

#12 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:18 AM

Gregory,I've attached the Vassal link with the module inside. Just open the link, double click on the module and start a new game as the observer. (alows access to both sides) Right clicking on the ships allows many functions to be performed. Also along the top are buttons to access the pieces(Ships, rulers, compass rose, smoke, fire, torpedo etc)I hope this works,Bill

#13 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:21 AM

Sorry :S it won' take this file type. If you could send me your email I can send it that way. Anyone else as well who wants a look. Option two would be to join the Seekrieg Yahoo group and get it off their files section.Bill

#14 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hello,Has anyone had a chance to look at the module off the Seekrieg site? Sorry I can't upload it here.I am still interested in giving it a go via email if anyone has access to the module and is interested.Bill

#15 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

Bill,As we discussed off list, we can try this tomorrow. If it works, it will open up a whole range of possibilities for GQIII play.Cheers,Gregory

#16 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

Another try at uploading the vassal module. Gregory and I had a look at it yesterday and seems to function well.Unfortunately my vassal module has a Mod.url extension and cannot be uploaded. I'll try something else later

#17 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Here is the VASSAL module for Seekrieg, that seems easily modifiable for GQIII. Cheers,Gregory[file name=seekrieg.mod size=603725]http://www.odgw.com/images/fbfiles/files/seekrieg.mod[/file]

#18 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Gregory,I don't know why I was having such trouble trying to upload the file.Bill

#19 Craig George

Craig George

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hi all,So is anyone using this vassal mod for Seekreig and/or GQ3?I would be keen to give this a go....cheers,Craig

#20 William Betts

William Betts

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hello again,I have built a GQ module and I have asked at the Yahoo GQ site for volunteers to try it out. I have 2 guys interested so we will give it a go. Gregory I know we tried the other module and I think you will like this one as I have added a few more very helpfull parts to this one. (GQ specific)Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users