• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Greetings,Repeatedly the question arises why the tanks in the game cannot fire their numerous MG's at the same time as their main gun. So I went to the sources, and asked a few ex-tankers about this. There are a couple of things I found out:[ul][li]The hull machine gun was typically fired by the driver or co-driver, and did not have a vision slit for aiming. It was an area fire weapon only, and was typically not used for any targets beyond 100yds due to its high inaccuracy.[/li][li]Co-axial MG's typically shared the same sighting periscope as the main gun, meaning that there would be competition to put rounds on target. Furthermore, the only target that could be hit was the one at which the turret faced.[/li][li]The commander would be the one firing the co-axial and, if mounted, the AA MG. If he was doing this, he was not commanding his tank and picking out targets for the main gun to engage, which is his primary function while sticking his head out of the tank and reconnoitering the area.[/li][/ul]All this leads to a very simple conclusion, that firing the MG's and main gun across the time period of the game, where multiple firings are assumed at the target, and that firing and moving represent a slice of time, just would not be feasible. And due to the research I have done for this, I am going to limit hull MG's ranges and their accuracy.Cheers,Gregory

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

This limitation was instituted due to playability issues. Tanks were way to powerful vs. infantry to allow the full firing. This was a simple way to deal with the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users