• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevin

kevin

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

Hello everyone i am completely new to this forum. Interested in learning many new things. Hope we all will share our knowledge and talk about different concepts in this forum.

#2 Charles Hamack

Charles Hamack

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

Always happy to share ideas and infomation on FAI... :laugh:

#3 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Greetings! Tremendously enjoying small actions and ships with GQ3, mostly DD actions in the Solomons, in the dark, in 1942-3. GEtting quite popular around the area, also. Been gaming it in 1/700 with plastic models. Looks great on the table!

One fellow who enjoyed a demo is also a WWI buff. While I am new to WWI naval, I wouldn't have looked at all if it weren't for GQ3 having a sister set of rules. So some questions...

1) What's the state of the rules for FAI? Are they current and updated or about to undergo major revisions, etc? This would affect the timing of my purchase as GQ3's incorporated update and the new logs are higher up on the list.
2) I am a sucker for campaigns. I love TSC and look forward to the forthcoming one from ODGW, and would be happy for any information to be leaked about it! Meanwhile, I was thinking about using Avalanche Press games for campaigns. I've Jutland, the Med, Plan Orange, and Cruiser Warfare. I was thinking that Cruiser warfare would be a good place to start getting ships for.
3) Scale & Ships. I'm thinking GHQ 1/2400. I like the little details, and want to do a game where I use big ships during the daytime more along the lines of their intended use. I've Panzerschiffe for WWII, but I think I'd like the extra detail. Table scale would be the 100y=1cm unless we were cramped for space, then 200y=1cm.
4) How easy for people who know GQ3 is it to adapt to FAI? Can one just switch them into a rotation, or do they need some familiarity to develop? Or does switching btw the two make it more confusing?

Any thoughts or opinions welcomed. I'm thinking of painting up a few of the ships over summer and trying it out in fall with some of the usual suspects.

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Greetings! Tremendously enjoying small actions and ships with GQ3, mostly DD actions in the Solomons, in the dark, in 1942-3. GEtting quite popular around the area, also. Been gaming it in 1/700 with plastic models. Looks great on the table!

One fellow who enjoyed a demo is also a WWI buff. While I am new to WWI naval, I wouldn't have looked at all if it weren't for GQ3 having a sister set of rules. So some questions...

1) What's the state of the rules for FAI? Are they current and updated or about to undergo major revisions, etc? This would affect the timing of my purchase as GQ3's incorporated update and the new logs are higher up on the list.

There has been only one Amendment for FAI (that includes primarily optional add-ons, like an expanded set of coast defense rules). So the ruleset is pretty much set and stable (no new CRTs, Ship Logs, etc) .

2) I am a sucker for campaigns. I love TSC and look forward to the forthcoming one from ODGW, and would be happy for any information to be leaked about it! Meanwhile, I was thinking about using Avalanche Press games for campaigns. I've Jutland, the Med, Plan Orange, and Cruiser Warfare. I was thinking that Cruiser warfare would be a good place to start getting ships for.

Currently, there is only one campaign for the early North Sea actions under development. Unfortunately, WWI is not as fertile an area for campaigns in the TSC format as WWII. That said, the Avalanche Press games are a good campaign platform (my group has used them in the past). Additionally, for a later period (big still big gun in nature), I'd suggest looking into ODGW's 'Sudden Storm'. This campaign, which uses the TSC format, presents a hypothetical US vs Japan war set in 1937 (and is very much a 'come as you are' type of war with limited forces and timeline). While it may come across as 'WWII with biplanes', it definitely is not as aircraft had yet to make the impact they would later (big guns on big ships still dominate naval warfare in this period).

3) Scale & Ships. I'm thinking GHQ 1/2400. I like the little details, and want to do a game where I use big ships during the daytime more along the lines of their intended use. I've Panzerschiffe for WWII, but I think I'd like the extra detail. Table scale would be the 100y=1cm unless we were cramped for space, then 200y=1cm.

Either scale should work with WWI (especially if you take into account that the ranges were generally shorter than WWII). Personally, I use 1/6o00 with the 1cm=200yds scale due to lack of space (but have also used the standard 1cm=100yds for small actions).

4) How easy for people who know GQ3 is it to adapt to FAI? Can one just switch them into a rotation, or do they need some familiarity to develop? Or does switching btw the two make it more confusing?.

The game systems are identical, so switching from one to the other is seamless. There are some period specific modifications (primarily in the gunnery modifiers), but these are pretty obvious in nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users