• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jody Pleasant

Jody Pleasant

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:03 AM

I recently ordered a bunch of the Hexon 4" hex terrain and I'm interested to see how Mein Panzer would work out if converted to hexes. While it seems that many wargamers like using tape measures and the freedom of movement that this standard type of play offers, some (including two of the guys that I game with) like the speed and ease of movement in hex-based board wargames. If we can get MP to work properly with hexes, that seems like it would be a dynamite combination! Has anyone else tried a conversion like this? If so, do you have any words of wisdom as I'm trying to work out some of the details? We will be playing with 10/12mm and 15mm scales.

Thanks,
Jody

#2 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Jody,

Very easy!!

All ranges and movement are based in inches. So if you have a vehicle that moves 8 pips (inches) cross county then based on your hexsize you would move 2 hexes. The direct fire ranges are in bands 2", 6", 12", 24", 48" 72". (These are for 6mm. But since you are gaming in 15mm then use the ranges on the 15mm tables.)

Hope this helps.

--Kenny

#3 Jody Pleasant

Jody Pleasant

Private

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:23 PM

I thought of just doing a straight conversion of 4" = 1 hex and as you suggest (and round to the nearest hex). That would probably work fine if only using tanks and their bigger movement rates. However, the 2" movement that infantry gets would really mess that up when you think of shoot/move for 2" or move/move for 4" still being one hex. I have been leaning toward just doubling all ranges across the board and it solves all of your hex conversion problems, but that could make for a really large board if using armor and infantry combined.

You mention the standard ranges are for 6mm and suggest there are different tables for 15mm? Hmmm.... what have I missed? Is this something coming in Mein Trupen that we haven't seen yet?

#4 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

Jody,

No, I didn't mean to suggest one 4" hex = 1". I was saying that movement and ranges are already in inches for MP. So if you have a vehicle that moves 12" then you would know on your board that it moves 3 hexes and not have to measure.

As for scale differences, the databooks movement are scaled for 6mm. In the download section of MP there are modified Advance Reference Cards and templates with updated ranges for the 10mm thru 15mm scales.

When I run a MP game (I also use 10/12mm scale) I double all movement rates and use the modified ARC and Templates. Games are fast and fun!

--Kenny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users