3 replies to this topic

#1 Jahan

Jahan

Private

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hello,

I play GQ3 solo for the most part and I am considering incorporating a commander role system ala Warmaster/Blitzkrieg Commander/Black Powder. I'm not going to explain the system in detail here but the way I would adapt is the following:
- From the beginning of the game each divisional flagship would set it course and speed as the rules are now.
- Order would have to be issued for any of the following actions, change of speed, change of course, firing, radar detection, torpedoes.
- In order to issue an order the flagship would role two D6 and the sum must be equal or under their command number (let's say 9 for USN, 8 for IJN post '43).
- The flagship can issue additional orders with a modifier of -1 needed for each successive role after the first.
- The only thing that is automatic is staying to the current course and speed, and a division can theoritically fire more than once per turn.

This will add a little bit of flavour to my solo games, and will also model the intelligence and communications problems in the heat of battle.

Your thoughts?

#2 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

I don't understand how a Division can theoretically fire more than once a turn. The Rate of Fire of the guns is taken into account by allowing the small guns to Rapid Fire.

Anyway, I think that some sort of command system is essential if a single player is commanding a division of ships and especially if they are commanding several divisions of ships. As a solo player, I would pick out the ship and division I was in, and then all other divisions would have to roll their Morale (handy number) to successfully change course, speed, restrain fire (Detection, Acquisition and firing would be automatic otherwise), and fire torpedoes (DDs were restrained in several occasions from optimum firing angles / ranges by intrusive Admirals). The only Division I'd control cleanly would be my own.

I'd also allow the overall Commander to use TBS to communicate an order change, with a 25% net chance of success (50% chance to broadcast successfully and clearly, 50% chance to be understood and followed).

Just some thoughts. A lot depends on the size of the action and if it is day or night. My above comments assume more of a night action.

#3 Jahan

Jahan

Private

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

I have made some changes and borrowed some rules from the old Tokyo Express boardgame. Here is an outline of what I came up with:

http://theminiatures...sg.mv?id=245253

#4 mjkerner

mjkerner

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi Jahan, Have you added/changed any ideas for soloing QG III? I like what you've done so far, but am always on the lookout for more refinements, snce most if not all of my QG III gaming will be solo.

Many thanks for what you already have put together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users