• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vichussar

vichussar

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

I have just purchased & downloaded the IJN Deluxe Logs and noticed that the "CT" on the BB's & BC's have been downgraded to "Bridge" was this intentional or is it an error?

John Mc

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

I have just purchased & downloaded the IJN Deluxe Logs and noticed that the "CT" on the BB's & BC's have been downgraded to "Bridge" was this intentional or is it an error?

John Mc

This was intentional. Over time, many commanders (on both sides) abandoned the armored conning tower due to the generally cramped quarters and the the lack of visibility (which had severe impact on situational awareness, especially during night actions). Additionally, the larger staffs needed to control what was now a 3 dimensional battlefield could not be accomodated in a conning tower designed for primarily surface battles. (In the case of the USN, this would lead to the development of the Combat Information Center (CIC) by war's end, which is now the standard in all navys.)

As an option (particularly for early war scenarios), you can consider the bridge on the IJN BCs and BBs as a conning tower. This would reflect the early war experience prior to the migration of the command function from the conning tower to the bridge.

#3 Darren Burnside

Darren Burnside

Private

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

I found another oddity, the Chiyoda & Nisshin AV's on pg 8
both show having Kaitens on them in '42. I did not think
Kaitens existed until '44. So did they have them that early ?

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

I found another oddity, the Chiyoda & Nisshin AV's on pg 8
both show having Kaitens on them in '42. I did not think
Kaitens existed until '44. So did they have them that early ?

Ooops! That should be 12 Ko-Hyoteki Type A mini subs (not 12 Kaitens) for the early versions of Chiyoda and Nisshin. And you're correct, the Kaiten wasn't introduced until 1944.

#5 Darren Burnside

Darren Burnside

Private

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

is there a basic log for the mini subs ?

#6 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

is there a basic log for the mini subs ?

The Ko-Hyoteki Type A mini subs are considered small craft (less than 500 tons) and are on the ASSAULT & SMALL CRAFT table (the revised version is in Amendment 2).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users