5 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Ries

Patrick Ries

Private

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hi

here another one. Rules say that my own troops block the line of sight. I suppose that is only true if they are on the same level? In our situation I had an FO on a hill who was spotting enemy troops on a hill on the other side of the table, in the valley in between I had some troops of mine. We thought that the FO was ok to spot and moved on, but I am less sure now.

Could you clarify please?

Thx

Pat

#2 William Keyser

William Keyser

Private

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

We play it slightly differently the blocking line of sight is only for Fire. Not visablity.

We also allow tanks to fire through other units, however the unit being fired through then has to take a MC. That is just our addition. Infantry cannot fire throught other infantry!
William

#3 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Everything on the table top is true scale. Meaning that if a unit can see a target or terrain feature then they can fire on it. However you cannot fire through your own troops. (They tend to get upset about things like that!) Now if you are fighting the beaches of Normandy, have a friendly unit below you then it's a GM call.... I take questionable shots an use the "String of Death" to help with judgment calls. If the string touches anything but the target then no shot. If the string is close but DOES NOT touch then I may give the target a cover modifier.... Again GM call.

Hops this helps.

--Kenny

#4 collins355

collins355

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

I wondered about this rule too. I can understand friendly troops blocking line-of-fire, but not them blocking the line-of-sight for my observers, FACs, etc. Seems counter-intuitive to me in a 1:1 game. I will houserule that fire is blocked only, not observation.

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Kenny is right. Typically, units on the same level cannot see through anything else on their level, be it friendly or enemy. an FO cannot see through a tank, truck, jeep large gun, etc., that is front of it. Infantry may be a different matter as a squad of infantry at longer and longer ranges would not necessarily hinder LOS, but may be construed as an enemy target or at least confuse the spotter to who is friend or foe depending upon how close the enemy is to friendly. I would use your best discretion as a GM.

~ Bob Benge ~
ODGW Designer
Product Manager - Mein Panzer

#6 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Wow Bob said I was right.....   And I have it in writing!!  WaHoo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users