6 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

I wonder if there has been any intrest in a campaign for the Pacific during the period 1/42 thru 3/42 when the IJN was making all its moves to take Malaya and the Dutch East Indies. I for one love Java Sea and it just seems that if just of few of the bad luck happenings the Allies suffered (like various ships being damaged or sunk after grounding on uncharted rocks and the like) were erased that it would be not as terribly unblanced as it was. Those kind of changes would provide several campaign balance options just as you have three start options for TSC.

I would think that the mechanics could be very much like TSC in that once the Japanese landed somewhere victory seems to have gone to them much like the the Marines on the Canal. It also seems to me that Allied land air support for their naval forces would be a die roll and so on. The Japanese would have a choice when their various invasion convoys are intercepted to turn back or risk engagement. The turn back option would delay that invasion until remounted. Victory could be determined by how well or poorly the Japanese do compared to their historical counter parts.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

An interesting idea. I think a TSC/SSC style game would probably do the trick. I do know of some gamers who have expanded TSC to include the upper Solomons campaign. The basic system is flexible enough to handle probably any campaign of note.

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

TSC system certainly gets my vote. I know you guys included some kind of land battle resolution in sudden storm but I don't think that would needed in this case. The Japanese seem to sweep all before them on land and the best way to prevent that is to prevent the landings. After all, if I wasn't looking for a naval solution, why sugest a naval campaign? Besides, Doorman's amazing determination to engage the Japanese navy deserves to be gamed regularly.

#4 Kenneth D. Hall

Kenneth D. Hall

Private

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationFlyover Country

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

It would be fun to incorporate the ships from the RNN supplement along with Force Z to make an expanded campaign.

#5 Dave Schueler

Dave Schueler

Private

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

Years ago Nathan Forney did a campaign like that in the Naval War Review (he had a similar campagin for the Solomons). It had some interesting options, such as adding a Royal Navy carrier to Force Z and allowing American carriers to temporarily reinforce ABDA. There was even an option for RNN battlecruisers. It would be fun to see that updated and back in print.

#6 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

It really is my favorite period in the Pacific during WWII before radar and also that short time frame before aircraft had changed the naval mind set about exposing their surface ships to daylight. Within the year it would become a case of no carriers, then we skulk at night or its no fight. Being a WWI guy at heart that's just not right.

#7 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

the early solomons battles don't really depend a lot on radar - either the admiral's ignoring it, or the reading isn't right, or the captain makes the wrong decision, etc. Personally, I'd make all the R- no radar and the R+ become R-.

However, I would love to do a carefully constructed campaign for that period. Sure, you'd have to tinker around to get the right balance and have some good scraps, especially since so many men were left hanging by their governments and high commands. Probably one of the easiest ways to do it would use a board game, but resolve the naval battles with GQ3 if they look like good ones. I believe there are two around for this period, one by Avalanche games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users