• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Adam H. Jones III

Adam H. Jones III

Private

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

I am using mines for the first time in a scenario and a couple of questions have come up as I prepare for the game. First; rule 1.16.3 discuss converting a ship to carry and lay mines. Although it is not explicitly stated, there is a sentence at the end of the first bullet point that states; "One day is required to beach all torpedoes and depth charges(and unship British DD "A" and "Y" gun mounts) for a deck load of mines. Does this mean that a ship that will carry mines in a scenario and has the ability to carry mines(as indicated by the # on mines listed on the ship log in italics) is REQUIRED to remove all torpedoes and depth charges? Second...if the above statement is true and that the torpedoes and depth charges are removed to make room for the mines, how does one determine if the mines are damaged as a result of gunfire? I do see and understand the Jettison rule in 1.16.3 and I understand that if a DC and torpedo tube result is rolled on the damage table, the DCs and torpedoes are destroyed but we do not have the DCs or torpedoes explode as a result of the damage...are mines handled the same way?

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I am using mines for the first time in a scenario and a couple of questions have come up as I prepare for the game. First; rule 1.16.3 discuss converting a ship to carry and lay mines. Although it is not explicitly stated, there is a sentence at the end of the first bullet point that states; "One day is required to beach all torpedoes and depth charges(and unship British DD "A" and "Y" gun mounts) for a deck load of mines. Does this mean that a ship that will carry mines in a scenario and has the ability to carry mines(as indicated by the # on mines listed on the ship log in italics) is REQUIRED to remove all torpedoes and depth charges?

Yes. The amount of space for weapons is limited (especially on DDs). To carry a sufficient load of mines requires losing the torpedoes and DCs.

Second...if the above statement is true and that the torpedoes and depth charges are removed to make room for the mines, how does one determine if the mines are damaged as a result of gunfire? I do see and understand the Jettison rule in 1.16.3 and I understand that if a DC and torpedo tube result is rolled on the damage table, the DCs and torpedoes are destroyed but we do not have the DCs or torpedoes explode as a result of the damage...are mines handled the same way?

First, DDs carrying mines would never enter into a combat situation with a deckload of mines. They would either leave the area at full speed and avoid combat at all costs or jettison the mines as quickly as possible (replacing the mines is a whole lot easier than replacing a ship). Taking a hit from gunfire in the mines would sink the ship immediately. If a player decides to engage in surface combat while carrying a full load of mines, I would judge any DC or torpedo damage result as either a magazine hit or an immediate sinking (and if I was the GM I'd say the later). While DCs and torpedoes could be dangerous, most ships struck their DCs below when going into surface combat and, for torpedoes, there was usually a far smaller number carried (a DD may have upwards of a dozen torpedoes in their tubes; mine loads can range anywhere from 20 up to 80). And mines tended to have a larger explosive charge (and were much more volatile). The bottomline is that if you're a DD carrying mines, the very last thing you want to do is get into a gun fight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users