• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Have run about a dozen WWII in the Solomon's games, all at night, mostly using DDs and some CLs, but about to set out for a big Savo Game this August 9th.  We've very much enjoyed the games, and among the most popular have been "small actions" with each player commanding a DD or two in 1/700 scale.  Also preparing for the 100th anniversary of WWI with Fleet Action Imminent, where we are going all-out for major fleet actions in the North Sea in 1/2400 and 1/3000 scales.

A few things I've noted that slow down or confuse the game during night actions...First, the acquiring of targets has a bit of an "instant acquire - fire" feel, seems too easy.  Second, there's a slowdown as players think about their targets and should they use searchlights / star shells / switch targets, etc.  They almost can't help but to commiserate about it, and I can't be bothered to stop it since they're often forgetting, then trying to be helpful and remind each other, etc.  Third, having read a bunch of memoirs, I'd love to get a feel of an "attack run" with the DDs, that aggressive charge forward, loosing of the torpedoes and then veering off, almost like an airplane attack.

Based upon this experience, am considering changing the turn sequence to the following:

1) Tactical Plot Phase

2) Damage Control Phase

3) Gunnery Phase

4) Movement Phase

5)Torpedo Attack Phase

6) Detection Phase

I _believe_ it will ease play during night actions, possibly day ones also.

Players will start by plotting and ordering, including their targets and if they plan to light up the target with SL or SS, but they'd not yet know if their damage was repaired [DCT, etc].

Then Damage Control will occur

[presently, the damage of gunnery could be repaired immediately with no real effect if successful. This sequence will delay the time between damage and repair, affecting orders, gunnery, movement or detection abilities]

Then they will fire upon the designated targets from their orders, and informed by the detection phase of the previous turn, including the use of SS or SL.

Movement will then occur, with torpedo attacks along the way.  I am hoping to make it possible for DDs and such to make an actual "attack run", the parabola they'd often steer to fire torpedoes.  

Finally, Detection / Acquisition would occur, giving players some new possibilities to consider for their plotting of movement and gunnery.

For those of you who are old salts with the game, do you see any problems with this revised turn sequence?  I've been very busy with annoying real life issues and haven't had a chance to really think it over in detail, so would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Anchors Aweigh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users