• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Infantry FP stats are banded in ranges giving short range a higher FP value and longer ranges a lower FP value.

Now the question - In the equipment table a main gun has a FP value, however there are no ranges associated with this value.

Why does weapons greater than MG class not have FP ranges?

Thanks

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

The FP value is tied to the HE value of the warhead being fired the warheads FP detonation does not vary over range, its accuracy does. The round's accuracy is handled on the to-hit table which is warhead independent. Remember that when a tank fires a round, no matter the warhead type, its warhead's  actual effective explosive force is not impacted by its range. The round's accuracy is dependent upon the fire control and explosive charge sending the warhead to the target.  

~ Bob Benge ~
ODGW Designer
Product Manager - Mein Panzer

#3 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

So...  Why is a Bren Mk 1 LMG FP range to 36" and a vehicle mounted MG-34 FP only ranges to 24" ?

Thanks

#4 Peter M. Skaar

Peter M. Skaar

Captain

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hey Kenny

Bob is right.  When firing the tank's main gun HE round, the problem is whether or not the single round will hit where it is aimed over distance.  Once the round does hit, the blast effect takes care of things and this does not degrade over range.

In the case of MG's and small arms in general, the Fire Power Table takes care of the degradation over range automatically when shooting at infantry type targets.

By the way, it is nice to see some activity on these boards again.  I posted back in April about when the Arab-Israeli supplement might come out and the status of the Modern Data Book in general.  We have not had any updates on this for quite a while.

I hope to see more activity on these boards in the future.  Overall, I like the Mein Panzer rules and hope you continue to support them.  I have a good little core group of guys here in the Phoenix area that play this game.

Have a great day!

Pete

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hi Pete! Thanks! I may have to make a trip up that way some time and try to get a game in with you. I have moved to Las Cruces for my job and have a friend up in Globe that I plan on visiting in the future. :0 

Updates on the Arab/Israeli Wars is coming along and we are hoping for a future release. We refuse to give release dates any more because we have been burned by not meeting them in the past due to various printing and personal issues that have come up. It really is in work and is seeing the light of the day.

My apologies for the inactivity. We haven't had many questions, but haven't been very responsive in the ones we have had. I, personally have had a lot going on the past year with the move and having to focus more on my job that has had a lot of travel involved. This has taken my focus away. I hope to address this in the future, but I have more travel coming up so I will do my best to keep up with everything. 

As to Kenny's question about the limiting of the range of the vehicle machine guns...

This was done due to the limited visibility of the crew and the purpose of the guns. Remember that tank guns were used as close support of the vehicles and  surrounding infantry and not intended for long range combat. The extended range of the infantry manned machineguns could actually be used in the indirect fire role and this is why we extended the range as they had the capability and training to use the guns at extreme ranges. Vehicle MGs just didn't have this capability or training.

~ Bob Benge ~
ODGW Designer

#6 Peter M. Skaar

Peter M. Skaar

Captain

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hi Bob

If you are ever able to get to the greater Phoenix area, please let me know.  It would be great to see you.  Right now I have a group of 6 guys plus me as the referee playing a Poland '44 scenario pitting a Russian Guards tank brigade vs a reinforced German SS Panther company.  It is interesting in that both sides think the other has a lock on victory.  The game looks like it will be close.  It will take us another couple of sessions to bring it to conclusion.

I hope all goes well in your new location.  I know moving isn't easy but I hope you get settled in okay.  I am looking forward to any new supplements that come out as they become available.  Thanks.

Pete

#7 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Sounds like you have a great game going Pete. Things are beginning to settle down at home but work travel is picking up a bit.. I will definitely look you up when I plan on being in the area. I may be able to drag my friend down from Globe too. :)

~ Bob Benge ~
ODGW Designer

#8 Peter M. Skaar

Peter M. Skaar

Captain

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi Bob

Thanks very much.  If you want, you can e-mail me personally and let me know your schedule in the future.  We would be happy to have you stop by or even play or referee if your schedule permits.  You should have my e-mail address on file somewhere.

Have a great day!

Pete

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fp, infantry, vehicle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users