• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Johannes Blunck

Johannes Blunck

Private

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

I am confused by the classification of the trucks in the data book:e.g. I am looking for the Opel Blitz. where can I find this truck? The weight of the Opel should be about 3,3to but I can't find it. Or I misunderstand the "4x4", "6x6" data. I thought this has something to do with the wheels. But then I also cannot find the NAG 500. And what about all the different Maultier versions? There is also a NAG 500 Maultier - but there is only one "Truck halftrack" entry.I am afraid there is just a very simple explanation..Johannes

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

Hi Johannes,I am afraid that the short explanation is that the Trucks were genericized for all nations. There is just so many different versions of trucks used by most nations that it seemed almost daunting to add that much more data to the book and delay its release another 6 months. Now the semi-good news is that I have added several specific trucks to the newest edition of the Databook. The newest edition of the databook will be completed sometime in the near future. I will be going back and adding more specific truck data after other projects are completed. To use the generic data find the closest truck weight (like say a 3 ton truck to 2 1/2 ton truck) and uae it. Note also there is an entry for a Maultier in the Armored Personnl Carriers. You can remove the armor numbers and use it as the Maultier Half Track.Here is the Opel Blitz 3 ton stats:Name: Truck, Opel Blitz 3 TonCC Speed: 8R Speed: 16V Class: 1P Class: 2C Class: 4T Class: 4DM: 0DR: 1F DV: 0S DV: 0R DV: 0T DV: 0:)

#3 Johannes Blunck

Johannes Blunck

Private

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:46 AM

Hi Bob,thanks for the answer. Could you tell me the meaning of the 4x4 and 6x6 entries?ThanksJohannes

#4 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

Johannes,If my memory serves me correctly, 4x4 means 4 wheels and 4-wheel drive. 6x6 would be 6 wheels and 6-wheel drive. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:49 PM

That is correct, Jon. The first number is the number of wheels and the second number is the number of wheels that are powered.Examples:4x2= Four wheel vehicle with two wheels being driven by the motor. A typical car or standard pickup truck.4x4= Four wheel vehicle with all four wheels being driven by the motor. A typical 4-wheel drive SUV.6x6= Six wheel vehicle with all six wheels being driven by the motor.Sorry I missed this earlier, Johannes. :blush:

#6 Johannes Blunck

Johannes Blunck

Private

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi,after two years, another question to this topic: :S I am just trying to fit the british/commenwealth trucks into your categories.Most of them won't fit, because the numbers of powered wheels are nearly always different.E.g.: The Bedford QYD is a 3to truck but only two of the four wheels are powered, the AEC Matador is a 10to truck, but has a 4WD, the CMP 3to has a 6x4 wheel drive.I don't want to bother you, because you surely have better things to do, but maybe you can tell me the affect of weight and powered wheels on CC/Road speed so I can do the data entries by myself.ThanksJohannes

#7 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

Hi Johannes,No problem as that is why I am here. :) The weight of the truck affects the vehicle class. a 10 ton truck is a vehicle class 3 and a 3 ton truck would have a vehicle class of 2. The drive (2wd/4wd) of the truck is not considered in the stats at this time. The other relevent stats for a truck would be its max passenger capacity, max cargo capacity weight and max towing weight as these are converted to their respective classes.

#8 Johannes Blunck

Johannes Blunck

Private

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Ok, now I start to understand the categories.To make it easier: Could you give me the details of your classificitations:e.g. 3to to 4to ist vehicle class X, 4.5 to 6to is vehicle classYe.g. towing ability 10to to 13to is towing class X20-30 passengers is transportation class X and so on and so on.This way I can do my own research and I don't have to bother you with all these questions about lorries, trucks, utility vehicles etc.If you want me to, I could later send my results to you and you could check, if you are fine with them.ThanksJohannes

#9 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

Here is the table we use for calculating Vehicle, Cargo and Towed Class. The Vehicle Class column is the actual Vehicle/Cargo/Towed class number derived the weight columns. Example: a truck that weighs 2000 kg. would be a Vehicle class 1, a vehicle that could carry 5000 kg. would have a Cargo class of 7 and a vehicle that could tow 2000 kg. would have a Towing class of 3.VEHICLE......VEHICLE.......CARGO..... TOWEDCLASS........ KG............ KG............ KG1.0............0.............. 113........... 02.0............2268..........454........... 4543.0............4536..........1361..........13614.0............11340.........2268..........22685.0............22680.........3176..........45366.0............45360.........4083..........68047.0............68040.........4990..........136088.0............113400........5898..........226809.0............158760........6805..........3402010.0...........226800........7712.........45360For Passenger Class, divide the total passengers the vehicle can carry by 4 and round to the nearest .5. Examples: a vehicle that can carry 8 passengers would have a Passenger class of 2 and a vehicle that can carry 10 passengers would have a Passenger class of 2.5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users