19 replies to this topic

#1 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Is it true, will you be releasing an Age of Sail for General Quarters?  Details?  Will we be able to purchase at a special price?

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

Yes, indeed.  The next game out will be an Age of Sail game set in period from 1794 to 1815.  The author is Lonnie Gill and the name will be POST CAPTAIN.  

The scope is single ship up to squadron (4 to 5 ships a side, although its been playtested with as many as 10 a side) actions (yes, you can play out Trafalgar, but that would be a bit a chore.  Somewhat akin to so Jutland with Fleet Action Imminent).  The reason for this is that there were far more small actions (100s) that the large full fleet actions (which number roughly a half dozen).  This also allows us to model each ship with its own unique characteristics (as opposed to generic stats required for a larger scope).        

As to scale, the rules are scale neutral; you can use any scale miniature you like.  The ground scale is the same as the miniatures used (1/1200 ships use a 1/1200 ground scale, 1/2400 use 1/2400, and so on).

The game will include rules for cutting out actions, shore raids, bomb vessels, coastal batteries, weather (from dead calm to full gales) and more, as well as everything for ship-to-ship combat.

The rules will also feature a very new and innovative movement system that realistically models movement under sails while being intuitive and easy to use and learn (we've had complete novices master the movement system in under 10 mins.  NO LIE...).  I've played AoS ever since I nailed my first copy of 'Wooden Ships and Iron Men' (when it was brand new in 1974) and this movement system that Lonnie has invented is the most radical break I've ever seen.  It truly takes the pain out of the one major challenge of playing with sailing ships.

PC will include the British, French, Spanish and US navies.  The first three covers the vast majority of the actions of the period while having the US opens up the War of 1812 (and even the Quasi-War between France and the US).  If interest is there (and sales justify it!), a supplement will add the Russians, Swedes, Danes, and Dutch (and maybe some others; that's waaay up in the air!) and the lake battles of the War of 1812.

Additionally, there will be a wealth of freebie downloads available (additionally ship logs, scenarios, counters for coastal batteries and land troops (for shore raids), and a comprehensive database for the four featured navies covering SoLs down to brigs).   

Finally (and EVERY author says this... or should), this is the AoS game Lonnie and I wanted to play (but it wasn't there... So we had to invent it!).  And we hope you feel the same way....  

And where and when....  Below is the listings from the PEL for Cold Wars:

F-264 - Wargming 101 - Post Captain Demo
Fri. 10:00 AM, 4 hrs, 4 players
GM: ODGW Staff and ODGWLLC
Sponsor: ODGWLLC
Age of Sail 1/2400, Rules: Post Captain
Come and learn POST CAPTAIN, ODGW’s new Naval Age of
Sail rules; a fresh and innovative take on the Age of Sail. Take
command of a frigate and match wits with other gamers (or even
with one of the authors!). Rules taught, walk ups welcome.
This is a walk-up demo.

F-262 - Strachan’s Action (Battle of Cape Ortegal)
Nov. 6, 1805
Fri. 4:00 PM, 4 hrs, 10 players
GM: Michael Baulch and ODGWLLC
The French van of four SoLs have escaped the debacle of Trafalgar
only to find their way home blocked by Strachan’s squadron of
SoLs and frigates. Will the British cap their victory or will the
French spoil the party? Rules taught, walk-ups welcome.

S-263 - Frigate Squadrons in the Channel - Action

of 23 April 1794
Sat. 10:00 AM, 4 hrs, 8 players
GM: Michael Baulch and ODGWLLC
In response to France’s raiding frigate squadrons, the Royal Navy
has sent its own squadrons to bring them to heel. In one such
action, Warren’s frigates have caught a French squadron (with a
surprise!). Who will prevail? Rules taught, walk ups welcome.

S-265 - Wargming 101 - Post Captain Demo
Sat. 4:00 PM, 4 hrs, 4 players
GM: ODGW Staff and ODGWLLC
Come and learn POST CAPTAIN, ODGW’s new Naval Age of
Sail rules; a fresh and innovative take on the Age of Sail. Take
command of a frigate and match wits with other gamers (or even
with one of the authors!). Rules taught, walk ups welcome.
This is a walk-up demo.

#3 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

When will this be available for order/download here on the site?  I am very interested and would order immediately upon availabilty.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Assuming all goes to plan, the rules will go to the printers around late March and be available for sale (download and hardcopy) by April.  IF all goes to plan....

#5 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

a9ed842f739e930dc8e9340bafbbaeaf77994c50

Capt. John Paul Jones

#6 Chris Lane

Chris Lane

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Epic

Clearly very excited about this but does it mean that gq3 and fai are finished?

#7 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

Not at all. Currently, we have a South American supplement in the works for GQ3.3 and a few other projects at various stages.  The South American Supplement will probably be the last for GQ3.3 since we've covered just about all the major and minor navies of pre-WWII and WWII (with the last supplement we'll be left with such naval giants as Cuba, Saudi Arabia, and Ireland!  Not your big time fleets, for sure!).  As for FAI, there isn't  much left to do (the Supplement for FAI added just about all the remaining powers).  But who knows what the future holds...

#8 Chris Lane

Chris Lane

Corporal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Ideal! I've got a few south American navies ready to paint so that is good news.

I suppose you are right, the rules breadth of coverage is extensive. The only other thing that could be done would be some what if ships but, going from previous conversations, this would be very difficult and open up a can of worms.

#9 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

So, how did the games go?  any after action reports?  any details on release dates?  Can you tell I am really looking forward to an AoS game from your team?

Capt. John Paul Jones

#10 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

Current tentative release date is July (in time for Historicon).  But that may change.

#11 William Owen

William Owen

Private

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSoca, Canelones, Uruguay, South America

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

My Uruguayo buddies might have fun with the whatif scenarios involving our pleasnt neighbors to the north and west! And indeed the Uruguayan key tactic is to duck.

#12 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

How goes the progress?  Locals are giving the Osprey new Age of Sail rules a go today.  I will see how it goes, but really am looking forward to your rules.  Last note said July, any chance sooner?

Capt. John Paul Jones

#13 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:58 AM

The release date is July (in time for Historicon).

#14 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

For those unable to attend Historicon, what does a preorder or order situation look like here on the site?

Capt. John Paul Jones

#15 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

Last I heard is that ordering from the site will be available at the same time as the (hopeful) release at Historicon. As for pre-ordering, I can't answer that (don't know).

#16 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thanks Coastal.

off topic, but I cannot find or did not get the sheet with the code needed on my Sudden Storm campaign books I got from the local game shop.  Is there any other way to request or show proof to get the bonus content downloads?

Capt. John Paul Jones

#17 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Coastal.

off topic, but I cannot find or did not get the sheet with the code needed on my Sudden Storm campaign books I got from the local game shop.  Is there any other way to request or show proof to get the bonus content downloads?

The best suggestion is to contact ODGW directly (using the 'Contact Us' tab at the bottom of the page). They should be able to get you registered.

#18 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

All,

Post Captain fitting out is well underway.   Expected release date is July 16th (Historicon).  This will be for the electronic and printed product.  Retail cost is set at $31.95 (same as FAI).  More information and sneak peeks are available at http://www.odgw.com/index.html

As always, thanks for supporting ODGW and General Quarters stable of rules!

--Kenny

ODGWLLC

#19 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

New Post Captain article posted....

http://www.odgw.com/...ce-chapters-r23

Enjoy

#20 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:51 PM

cannot wait!

18692203239_31fd38c9ec_b.jpg

Capt. John Paul Jones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users