3 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:19 PM

We've played TSC out 4 times now. The guy who ran the first two (and he did a solid job of it) interpreted the IJN unit assignment limitations as that they could not split a unit between different missions; but that they did not have to assign all of the ships in a unit to the mission and could leave some in port while the remainder filled the mission limitation for that ship type to the limit. As an example; The IJN player forms a bombardment mission from Truk and assigns the 1st Bat, Squadron (both Nagatos), 4th Cruiser Squadron (Atago, Takao & Maya), 5th Cruiser Squadron (Haguro & Myoko) and the 7th Cruiser Squadron (Suzuya) and leaves Kumano in port. Under that interpretation the Kumano could be left in port but could not be assigned to any other mission that turn. He did it to allow the Japanese to fill their mission limits when an all or nothing interpretation would have precluded filling the limit. I argued at the time that the underlined "all" and "not" meant that was not allowed but that is the way we have been playing it. I noted that the only specific exception granted to the Japanese as far splitting units was that they could detach destroyer divisions from their parent flotillas. Which way is right?

In addition, I've noted that the OOB seems to only allow Taiyo to be assigned to a CG if Yamato is also assigned. If that is right; does it also tie the Yamato to Taiyo and preclude Yamato's assignment to missions other than CG that Taiyo is also assigned to?

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Sorry about the late response.

Within the game, the Japanese are restricted to assigning full divisions/squadrons since this was their preferred method of assignment.  The IJN placed a high value on using units that had trained and operated together as opposed to picking and choosing individual ships.  So your interpretation would be the correct one.  (In contrast, the USN did not adhere to this as they did not have that luxury; their situation in the SWPac just would not allow that).

As for the Yamato and Taiyo:  My interpretation is that when both are activated, both must be assigned to missions for that turn.  That does not mean that they have to be assigned to the same mission, however.  So if you do use them, you can assign them to different missions within the same turn. 

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:41 PM

Thank you and I really like your view of the Taiyo/Yamato use. I was afraid that if I was reading it right the Yamato could not be assigned unless it was a CG mission and tht just did not make any sense to me. I'm really glad I was totally wrong on that one.

#4 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:23 PM

Thank you and I really like your view of the Taiyo/Yamato use. I was afraid that if I was reading it right the Yamato could not be assigned unless it was a CG mission and tht just did not make any sense to me. I'm really glad I was totally wrong on that one.

The Japanese units did sortie together typically for the reason given.  Taiyo and Yamato can go in separate missions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users