W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:28 PM

(Armored) Cruiser Fight-1916

Disclaimer

This scenario is a complete fantasy that stems from my personal affinity for armored cruisers and their first cousins, second class pre-dreadnought battleships. I wanted to see what might happen if the best (IMHO) designs of armored cruisers from the various navies involved in WWI clashed in a daylight fight. That grew into what can now only be described as a cruiser fleet action involving cruiser squadrons from every navy involved.

I wanted each ship involved to have at least the following attributes; CA armor, 4 main guns of 10” to 7.5” in caliber and 20 knots of speed. I found that I had to use some 2nd class pre-dreadnought battleships to make up numbers for the Austrians and I also substituted 2 of the (what some call) pre-dreadnought battle cruisers for the Japanese to give the squadron some strength (these are the only 12” ships in the scenario).

Situation (a total of many what ifs)

The German Far East Squadron rather than breaking for home had succeeded in making its way into the Mediterranean Sea. In addition most of the armored cruisers in home waters had been sent to reinforce the Mediterranean squadron before the outbreak of war. Both groups of German cruisers had joined in the Adriatic Sea in hope of keeping Italy true their alliance while the Goeben and the light cruisers made for Turkey. This had resulted in the cruisers being bottled up in the Adriatic by the French and British.

On the Allied side, the Russians had sent Rurik and Rossia to Britain just before the outbreak of war to show the flag and hopefully inspire the Czar’s cousin to support Russia. Being cut off from the Baltic upon the outbreak of war they (with British blessing) transferred to the Mediterranean to support the Allied effort against Turkey as this would have allowed them to join the Black Sea Fleet. The Brits faced with the German cruiser reinforcement of the Mediterranean theater felt compelled to reply in kind and sent the 2nd Cruiser Squadron to reinforce the 1st Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean Fleet.

As for the neutrals; Italy remained neutral until late 1915 when she decided to hold to her treaty and joined the Central Powers. Greece upon seeing the Allies move against Turkey joined them. Japan looked at her strategic and resource needs and concluded there was more to gain by taking from the Allies than by joining them and threw in her lot with the Central Powers sending a cruiser squadron to support the Central Powers in the Mediterranean (the squadron transited the Suez before Japan made her intentions known). Japan’s repudiation of her alliance with Britain forced America’s hand and brought her into the war in early 1916 to protect her possessions in the Pacific. The U.S. matched the Japanese deployment to the Med with a squadron of her own cruisers.

At this point the scene is set; its mid-summer 1916 and the Central Power Combined Cruiser Fleet under Vice Admiral Graf Spee is trying to break out of the Adriatic into the Mediterranean to raid troop and supply convoys and a Combined Allied Cruiser Fleet under Vice Admiral Robeck is trying to stop them.

The Set Up

Time: 0800 hours                                Wind: Force 3 NE                 Visibility: 19,000 yards       Sea Haze: N -1,000 yards

Squalls: Not yet   Gunnery: US & Germans DCT, everyone else is Local                 

The fleets are 19,000 yards apart in 4 line astern squadron columns at deployment distance when they sight one another. The Central Powers are to the NE heading S and the Allies are to the SW heading N.

Vice Admiral Graf von Spee decided to try get around the Allies to the west but his Italian 2IC, Vice Admiral Condonte misunderstood his intent and tried to get past the Allies to the east. This placed von Spee with the German and mixed Austro-Hungarian/German squadrons against Vice Admiral Robeck with the Royal Navy and Marine Francaise squadrons while Condonte with the Regia Marina and Japanese squadrons took on the American and mixed Russo, Royal Navy and Greek squadrons under Vice Admiral Pereria.

The wind held steady for an hour from the north east while German gunnery although obscured by funnel smoke pounded the French squadron sinking Victor Hugo, knocking out all Jules Ferry’s main armament, halving Leon Gambetta’s main armament and forward guns of Edgar Quinet for no damage in return. The Austro-Hungarian/German squadron traded shots with Robeck’s Royal Navy squadron during this same period suffering minor damage and inflicting nothing in return.

To the east the U.S. Navy cruisers showed the world what really good (dice) gunnery was all about knocking the stuffing out of the Regia Marina by knocking out turret after turret while the Italians showed what really good (dice) damage control is by repairing half the turrets they lost. The Americans also reduced the Italians to 18 knots. In return Seattle lost her fore turret and San Diego was reduced to 19 knots. The Americans also reduced Ikoma to 16 knots and knocked out Asama’s fore turret. On the down side, American efforts at damage control reduced Seattle’s fore turret to something only a dockyard could fix. The mixed Russo/Greek/RN squadron followed behind waiting for its chance to clean up whatever the Americans left for it.

The Allies caused 15 hits total while the Central Powers inflicted 11 in return. The bulkhead hit on Victor Hugo was the hit that caused the most damage as it eventually sank Victor Hugo. The excessive funnel smoke had reduced visibility to 17,000 yards by the time we called the game. The Central Powers failed to achieve their objective (exit 4 undamaged ships) but caused more damage. We ran this with only 4 players (I did not push and only refereed the game) and 3 hours of game time and got 10 turns done.

I intend to run this next year at Enfilade as my nod to Jutland’s 100 year anniversary in an 8 hour time block. In retrospect, I should have used the wide side of the table for each side’s rear and dropped the funnel smoke gunnery modifier which I will do when I run it again.  

Allied Cruiser Fleet-Vice Admiral Robeck                       Central Powers Cruiser Fleet-Vice Admiral Graf von Spee

1st Cruiser Squadron-Rear Admiral Moore                     Far East Asia Squadron-      “

CA HMS Defense SF                                                             CA SMS Bluecher FF

CA HMS Warrior                                                                  CA SMS Gneisenau SF

CA HMS Duke of Edinburgh                                               CA SMS Scharnhorst

CA HMS Black Prince                                                           CA SMS Yorck

CA HMS Achilles FF                                                              CA SMS Roon

CA HMS Natal                                                                       CA SMS Prinz Adlbert

1st Leger Escadron-Contre Admiral Robere                    KuK Cruiser Squadron-Rear Prestonovik

CA MFS Edgar Quinet SF                                                     PDB KuK Erzherzog Friedrich SF

CA MFS Waldeck Rousseau                                                PDB KuK Erzherzog Karl

CA MFS Leon Gambetta                                                     PDB KuK Erzherzog Ferdinand Max

CA MFS Jules Ferry                                                              CA KuK Kaiser Karl VI

CA MFS Victor Hugo                                                            CA KuK Sankt Georg

CA MFS Ernest Renan                                                         CA SMS Friedrich Karl

Atlantic Cruiser Squadron-Vice Admiral Pereira           5th Battle Squadron-Rear Admiral Trifari

CA USS Seattle SF                                                                CA RMS Pisa DF

CA USS Missoula                                                                  CA RMS Amalfi

CA USS Memphis                                                                 CA RMS San Marco

CA USS Charlotte                                                                 CA RMS San Giorgio

CA USS Pittsburg                                                                 CA RMS Garibaldi

CA USS San Diego                                                               CA RMS Varese

Allied Cruiser Squadron-Rear Admiral Pererovski        Sentai 3-Vice Admiral Condonsama

CA IRS Rurik SF                                                                     BC IJS Tsukuma SF

CA IRS Rossia                                                                        BC IJS Ikoma

CA HHMS Georges Averof                                                      CA IJS Azuma

CA HMS Minotaur                                                                   CA IJS Yakumo

CA HMS Shannon                                                                   CA IJS Asama

CA HMS Cochrane                                                                                              CA IJS Tokiwa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users