2 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Locationnear Houston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:08 AM

While reading through the rules, I noticed what I think is an interesting issue.  The volley chart shows which officers can be hit by a volley from Marines or troops.  The chart goes from the Captain to the 6th Lieutenant.  However, 1st rate ships actually have 7 Lieutenants.  Is this omission intentional?  I can see a rationale that says a 7th Lt. would be pretty deep in the lower gundecks, so not exposed to fire, and if he were there are certainly bigger problems to worry about.  If it should ever become an issue, it seems there's an easy fix.  When the 6th LT is called for on the volley chart, just roll a d12.  Odds is the 6th LT, evens is the 7th.

Of course, it's always possible that I missed the explanation for this; after all, that's why I'm reading the rules for fun before the next game!

BWW

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

True enough that the chart goes only up to 6 Lts.  The reason is twofold:  First, the 1st rates were truly rare; far more common was your 2 deck 64 to 80 (which had the smaller officer component).  Second, was the design of the chart itself.  Given the limits of a D12, adding a 7th Lt would have required some fiddling (for little gain).  Another consideration to consider is the manning levels reflected on the ships generally (although not always) reflect a norm (and that can sometimes mean being under manned in both officers and men).  So just losing the 7 Lt (because he wasn't present) is entirely plausible and acceptable.  If the situation arises (in those cases where you're fielding one of those rare 3 deckers (which the design group nicknamed "Death Stars" given their immense firepower)), your solution would probably be the best.  (BTW, the British 2nd rates, whose sailing qualities could be generously described as "challenged" (or flat out miserable!) garnered the nickname "Pigs of the Sea"!)     

#3 Brian Weathersby

Brian Weathersby

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Locationnear Houston, Texas

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

That all makes sense; after all, if the 7th LT has suddenly become important to the ship's survival/command you are probably already in a world of hurt.  As for "Death Stars" well, maybe if they're British.  When we played San Domingo at Texicon last year, the opening volley of the 120 Imperial completely missed its target, and it went downhill from there for the French.

I don't think I have ever read a complimentary account of a 98 gunners sailing qualities, now that you mention it.  I hadn't run across "Pigs of the Sea" specifically, but it sure seems to fit.

BWW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users