• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas J Fitzgerald

Thomas J Fitzgerald

Private

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:07 PM

I am not able to find how Japanese Land Based Air is used in the campaign. As far as I can see there are no CDs that allow for their use in a turn. How do you assign LA to missions?

#2 Robert Bishop

Robert Bishop

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:09 AM

Hi Thomas,

On page 14 of Defending The Malay Barrier, the turn sequence shows when the LBA is attempted/resolved. It occurs a few steps down in section 9-b of the Engagement turn sequence, after testing for weather and time of day (in 9-a). To use LBA, refer to 2.6.6 on page 20. You will use the ADBA Engagement Res(elution) Chart PDF that 2.6.6 on page 20 refers to.

Hope this helps.

-RB (playtester)

#3 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

Thomas,

CDs are not used/required for employment of LBA, and LBA is not assigned to missions.  Robert is correct; as he referenced, there are two steps in the Engagement Resolution portion of the turn sequence where LBA attacks are adjudicated.  The other point I would emphasize is the ability of LBA to make contact is modified by how many Invasion Tiers the IJN has completed in that area.

Dave

#4 Thomas J Fitzgerald

Thomas J Fitzgerald

Private

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

So then Japanese LBA gets to attack every turn assuming they make their contact rolls (modified by weather and tiers) and ABDA only as the result of a theater event. OK thanks I believe I got.

#5 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:38 PM

Yep, you Imperialist ABDA types sortie and those Sons of Nippon based on land fly out and bomb you every time. But, cheer up; its mostly level bombing and they have to straddle first to get a 50% chance of hurting you. They are like horse flies; every so often you get bit and ooh does it sting.

#6 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Yes Thomas, the IJN LBA can attack every turn, in both areas.

However, there are mitigating factors.  First, they have to make contact, and second, as Bill pointed out, most of the time it's level bombing, so it's not particularly effective - the exception being if the target has been reported to have carriers, battleships or battlecruisers, then half the aircraft (rounded down) are armed with torpedoes.

In books I read on the campaign, the constant threat from the air was unnerving and disheartening to the Allied forces.  One of the books described how the first appearance of enemy aircraft - usually a reconnaissance floatplane - became a symbol of a harbinger of doom to the Allied sailors knowing they had been detected, because air attacks were soon to follow.  Hopefully the Allied players in the game get something of that same feeling.

Dave

#7 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:14 PM

Every time they roll a 1, you will learn expect impending doom, because if the next die roll is a 1-6 on a D12, then you are going to get hurt. I've seen them miss, a lot; and I'm seen them hit. I've never seen them get hot and hit a lot. If they ever do, just start over and chalk it up to bad karma. Cause your cruizer ist kaput.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users