• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Laplante

Robert Laplante

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hello !I am curious: are airplanes a regular feature in your game ? I play mostly WWII and when a Typhoon appear on the board, he always got a lot of attention...Personally, I have never played with more than one or two airplanes by side. But I almost finished painting my Typhoon 3 and 4. As the Typhoon 1 and 2 are armed with rockets, I am planning to equip the #3 or #4 with bombs. But I really thing that 4 Typhoons in the table at the same time is a bit of overkill (except, maybe, for very special games).Have you tried spotters in airplanes in one of your game ?This is something I am considering to do.Robert

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hey Robert,I would be happy to answer your questions. :)

I am curious: are airplanes a regular feature in your game ? I play mostly WWII and when a Typhoon appear on the board, he always got a lot of attention...

We occasionally use aircraft in our games. I know that I have used them a few times. Yep, they always seem to get special attention too. Nature of the beast. They represent a big threat on the battlefield and can change the tide of a battle. That's why the inclusion of aircraft in a balanced game must be carefully thought out. I have done, in micro scale (6mm or 1/285th scale) flights of 3 aircraft. Flights of 2 sets of 2 would not be bad, but balancing them out is the key. Have to give the Germans adequate AA coverage to get a descent counter to them. There objectives and how they are targeted is another factor. I used a ALO (Aircraft Liasion Officer) in my game and they had to color smoke the target for the aircraft (stole the idea from the movie A Bridge too Far). Made things interesting.

Have you tried spotters in airplanes in one of your game?

Not yet. Funny you mention this now though. I was just talking with Don this past weekend about finding a 1/100th scale L5 Sentinal for just this very thing. If I find one, I am going to use it in my next game, with of course some light AA (snicker, snicker) for the Germans. :evil:

#3 Robert Laplante

Robert Laplante

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

A Bridge Too Far is really a great movie. I like the part you mentioned (the armored assault and the German hiding in those trees). Very cool indeed!When I play with my friends, we do our own army list. We, of course, give guideline like you must have at least one company of infantry. So, if I field aircraft and the didn't bring AA, then it's too bad for them!Of course, special units like gliders are reserved for special scenario.When I finished my D-Day setup, I might be tempted to try Arnhem. I already got many paratroopers!But I don’t think I will bring more than 2 planes in a game without warning as this might spoil the fun of playing.Your idea for an ALO is cool, thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users