18 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:08 PM

A new feature that will included on the website will be EOPs, or Examples of Play. These articles will detail a particular situation in the rules, including photos and diagrams when necessary.A good example, and one of the first I plan to write, is how to prepare the Activation Table. This can be confusing, but is an extremely important part of the game. So an EOP will be written to explain it.I'd also like to see YOU write an EOP.If you have an idea for an EOF, and/or would like to write one, post it here.

#2 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

Good idea.. Where will the EOPs be located?? I'd like to see them located together in a easily findable location and not buried in various forum threads.My 2 cents.

Post edited by: knoe, at: 2005/10/02 01:55

#3 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

EOPs will not be forum posts. It will be a menu item on the main menu.

#4 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:18 PM

Regarding ''firing mortars'' you mention a mortar template.Where can i find this template please?Could you also explaine to me the normal procedure to use a normal infantry mortar ( 08 cm)?Ciao Claudio

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hey Claudio,The Mortar template is on the clear plastic template sheet that came with the Core Rules. The template is circular and is labeled "MORTAR 100LB BOMB HE ROUND".The procedure for firing a mortar is simple:1. Determine target location with a counter or marker.2. Roll deviation die for each round (rate of fire) that is fired.3. Move the target location counter/marker the number of inches in the direction of the arrow for each roll of the deviation die. This is the actual impact point(s).4. Place the MORTAR 100LB BOMB HE ROUND template centered on the impact point. This is the impact area.5. Determine what targets are under the template. Any target stand 50% or more under the tempalte are direct hits. Any stand less than 50% under the template are partial hits.6. Find the HE FP value on the table for the mortar.7. Apply all applicable modifiers from the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE on the Advanced Refernce Card, located near the bootom on the 3rd column of the front page (The page with the TO KILL TABLE on it).8. Apply these modifers to the HE FP value (for Infantry Targets) or the HE OV value (for Armored/Building Targets) of the mortar to get a Kill Value number (Line on the kill table).8a. If the target is an armored vehicle, the appropriate armor value (for direct hits the top armor and for partial hits the side of the vehicle that is facing the impact point of the mortar) must be subtracted from the Kill value to get the Final Kill Value.9. Using the appropriate line on the LEFT side of the Kill table for Infantry Targets or the RIGHT side for Armored/Building Targets roll a die and apply the results to the target.10. Repeat steps 6 to 9 for each target that was under the template.**Note that no range modifiers are used.**Example:You fire a German 81mm Mortar at a concentration of infantry that is 20" away. You designate an infantry stand in the concentration as the target location and place a target marker on it. Now you roll a deviation die for each round that the mortar fires. The rate of fire for the 81mm mortar is 2, so you will roll the deviation die twice (or roll 2 deviation dice, your choice). You roll a "5" with the arrow pointing directly to the left and a "6" which has an "X"; this round is "On Target" and is not deviated. For the first round, you measure 5" to left, in the direction that the arrow on the deviation die is pointing, and place the Mortar template centered on it. You find that there are no stands under the template so the round lands harmlessly. The second roll, the round was "On Target", so the Mortar template is placed centered over the target marker. You find that one infantry stand is directly under the template and that a Halftrack is about 20% under the template and the impact point is on the left side of the Halftrack. For the infantry stand the only modifier from the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE that applies is the 0 Direct Hit modifier. Apply this modifier to the HE FP value of the 81mm mortar, which is 8 and the Final kill value vs. the infantry stand is 8. Roll a d20 on the LEFT side of the Kill table on the 8 line, you roll a "9" which gives the result of 1 hit. Place a damage marker and a suppress marker on the infantry stand. For the Halftrack the only modifier on the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE that applies is the -2 Partial Hit. Apply this modifier to the 81mm mortar's HE OV value of 1. THis gives the value -1. Now subtract the side armor value of the Halftrack, which is a "1" and the Final Kill value vs. the Halftrack is a -2. Now roll a d20 on the RIGHT side of the Kill Table using the -1 line, you roll a "7" which is gives the result SUPPRESS. Place a SUPPRESS marker on the Halftrack. Good Rolling. ;) Hope this helps.

#6 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

Hey Claudio,The Mortar template is on the clear plastic template sheet that came with the Core Rules. The template is circular and is labeled "MORTAR 100LB BOMB HE ROUND".The procedure for firing a mortar is simple:1. Determine target location with a counter or marker.2. Roll deviation die for each round (rate of fire) that is fired.3. Move the target location counter/marker the number of inches in the direction of the arrow for each roll of the deviation die. This is the actual impact point(s).4. Place the MORTAR 100LB BOMB HE ROUND template centered on the impact point. This is the impact area.5. Determine what targets are under the template. Any target stand 50% or more under the tempalte are direct hits. Any stand less than 50% under the template are partial hits.6. Find the HE FP value on the table for the mortar.7. Apply all applicable modifiers from the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE on the Advanced Refernce Card, located near the bootom on the 3rd column of the front page (The page with the TO KILL TABLE on it).8. Apply these modifers to the HE FP value (for Infantry Targets) or the HE OV value (for Armored/Building Targets) of the mortar to get a Kill Value number (Line on the kill table).8a. If the target is an armored vehicle, the appropriate armor value (for direct hits the top armor and for partial hits the side of the vehicle that is facing the impact point of the mortar) must be subtracted from the Kill value to get the Final Kill Value.9. Using the appropriate line on the LEFT side of the Kill table for Infantry Targets or the RIGHT side for Armored/Building Targets roll a die and apply the results to the target.10. Repeat steps 6 to 9 for each target that was under the template.**Note that no range modifiers are used.**Example:You fire a German 81mm Mortar at a concentration of infantry that is 20" away. You designate an infantry stand in the concentration as the target location and place a target marker on it. Now you roll a deviation die for each round that the mortar fires. The rate of fire for the 81mm mortar is 2, so you will roll the deviation die twice (or roll 2 deviation dice, your choice). You roll a "5" with the arrow pointing directly to the left and a "6" which has an "X"; this round is "On Target" and is not deviated. For the first round, you measure 5" to left, in the direction that the arrow on the deviation die is pointing, and place the Mortar template centered on it. You find that there are no stands under the template so the round lands harmlessly. The second roll, the round was "On Target", so the Mortar template is placed centered over the target marker. You find that one infantry stand is directly under the template and that a Halftrack is about 20% under the template and the impact point is on the left side of the Halftrack. For the infantry stand the only modifier from the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE that applies is the 0 Direct Hit modifier. Apply this modifier to the HE FP value of the 81mm mortar, which is 8 and the Final kill value vs. the infantry stand is 8. Roll a d20 on the LEFT side of the Kill table on the 8 line, you roll a "9" which gives the result of 1 hit. Place a damage marker and a suppress marker on the infantry stand. For the Halftrack the only modifier on the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE that applies is the -2 Partial Hit. Apply this modifier to the 81mm mortar's HE OV value of 1. THis gives the value -1. Now subtract the side armor value of the Halftrack, which is a "1" and the Final Kill value vs. the Halftrack is a -2. Now roll a d20 on the RIGHT side of the Kill Table using the -1 line, you roll a "7" which is gives the result SUPPRESS. Place a SUPPRESS marker on the Halftrack. Good Rolling. ;) Hope this helps.

#7 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thank You Bob

#8 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

Dear BobThank you very much only a last question:how i have to calcolate the effect of''direct hit '' or the ''partial hit''?Ciao Claudio

#9 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:36 PM

Sorry BobThis is the last question .I'don't understand very well the sequence of the game ( turn,Phase ecct.)Thank You very much for your elp.Ciao Claudio

#10 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

Your welcome Claudio! ;)Now to your last questions, hehe... :lol:

Thank you very much only a last question:how i have to calcolate the effect of''direct hit '' or the ''partial hit''?

- I am not sure what exactly what you are asking. Your question is a bit vague so can you give me a little more detail on what you are looking for. Steps 6 to 10 is how the the effects are calulated. The only difference is that a Partial Hit gets a -2 modifier form the HE MODIFIERS TO KILL TABLE. Note that when using mortars there is NO to-hit roll. You simply roll for deviation for EACH round fired and then roll the damage results as outlined in steps 6 to 10 below. Also Please re-read the example I gave and let me know what it is that you don't understand there. That would help me answer your question.Note that Step 6:

6. Find the HE FP value on the table for the mortar.

is not complete. it should read:6. Find the HE FP value or HE OV value on the equipment table for the mortar depending on what the target is. The HE FP value is used for Infantry Targets and the HE OV value is used against Armored and Building Tagets.I will answer your next question soon. I have to run for a bit. More later. B)

Post edited by: bbenge, at: 2006/01/27 08:34

#11 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Thank You Bobeverything clear,take your time for the next questionciaoClaudio

#12 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:50 PM

Claudio,I will try to answer your question on the turn sequence. This can be confusing and I'm hoping to make it more clear in the next revision.Each turn will have up to a maximum of 10 phases. The actual number of phases is determined by the side with the fewer units to activate.For example ... the German player has 5 units and the Russian player has 8 units. Since the German player has fewer units, the number of phases would be 5.Take a look at the Activation Table on the playsheet. In this example, you would cross out phases 6 through 10.Now, since the Russian has 8 units, you may be wondering what happens to his extra. On the Activation Table, the Russian would mark off a total of 8 boxes, starting on Row 1 and working to the right. When you get to the Phase 6 column, which has been crossed out, you move to Row 2 and continue to mark off boxes until you have eight boxes marked. The German Activation Table should have five boxes marked off on Row 1. The Russian Activation Table should also have five boxes marked off on Row 1 but also three boxes on Row 2.Once the Activation Table has been prepared, you're ready to play.Before Starting the Turn, roll for initiative. Low roll gets to choose who has the initiative for the Turn. Let's assume the German play has initiative and we're ready to start the turn beginning with Phase 1.Looking at the German Activation Table we see there is only one box marked under the Phase 1 column. This means the German activates one unit. When finished, it is then the Russian player's turn.Looking at the Russian Activation Table we see there are TWO boxes marked under the Phase 1 column. This means the Russian activations TWO units this turn, but one at a time. When he has completed activating two units, it is the German player's turn again and we are now in Phase 2.This back-n-forth play continues until all five phases are completed. The German will activate only one unit per phase, which the Russian will activate two in phases 1 through 3 and only one unit in phases 4 and 5.Just remember that once a unit has been activation, it may not be activated again this turn. Next turn, you just repeat the process starting with rolling Initiative.Turn activation can be a little confusing, so if you don't understand something just let us know.

#13 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:56 PM

Dear JonEverything seem clear, thank you for your patience.Ciao Claudio

#14 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

No problem, you're welcome.

#15 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

Dear Jon another easy question for You:I want to insert in my transport pack for my pioneer platoon 02''stuka zu fuss''.the question is: how i have to resolve the stukas direct fireconsidering that they fire a special rockets( as a normal gun or with deviations like a mortar for example?)Thank You very muchClaudio Moro

#16 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

As I understand, these are the grandad to the Multiple Rocket Launcher systems of today. Don't think they can be direct fired.... They are treated like Rocket Artillery. See the Artillery drop-in P. 10-3 for the rules on firing them.Hope this helps.

Post edited by: knoe, at: 2006/02/16 13:23

#17 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

Kenny is correct, they are handles as Rocket artillery as outlined in the Artillery Drop-In Chapter 10. Thanks Kenny! ;)

#18 claudio moro

claudio moro

Private

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:19 AM

Thank You Kenny & BobCiao Claudio Moro

#19 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts