• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

We ran through the Demidov scenario this weekend to get a feel for using it at GhengisCon in February. The Soviet's managed to keep the Germans from getting their victory conditions in large part because of the Soviet Rifle/LMG ratings. Unlike almost all other stands the numbers to right of the slash in the first three range brackets are not at least half of the number on the left. Those brackets are 11/9, 8/7, and 4/3.I just double checked those numbers with the current file from the download library. Is that correct? If so would someone mind giving me some justification.Thanx, Joel T.

#2 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

I found the page you are looking at. What was done is that the second value is the value of the LMG alone. In the revision, the value to the left of the slash is the LMG + Rifle (ROF=1) firing; the value to the left is the LMG (ROF=2) alone, or the 2nd shot. So you fire your first shot with the left value, and the second with the right value.I hope that is clear.Gregory

#3 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

My understanding is the first value is a Full stand and the second number is used when the Full stand takes a hit (casualities) and therefore becomes a 1/2 stand.Bob / Jon... wanna clarify?

#4 Joel Tompkins

Joel Tompkins

Sergeant

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

That was my understanding. Further, the LMG stats are 10, 7, 3, 1, 0.Gregory's post begs the question though; why would a Rifle/LMG values ever fall below that of a straight LMG? Is it a doctine thing? But according to the RAW rules combining the LMG with the Rifle stand is optional.Should a Rifle/LMG stand casualty have a 50% chance of resulting in a half rifle stand OR a LMG stand? :whistle: Toodles, -JT

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:26 AM

Kenny is correct (ouch that hurt :lol: ) the number before the slash is for the full stand firepower and the number after the slash is for the damaged/1 hit taken/half stand.I personnaly don't combine the stands since I like the tactical flexablity, but I do understand the use, especially by MMG since they use squad level stands and not half squad level stands as in the RAW.My speculation on this is that the general reasoning for doing this is that for simplicity sake, the damage is considered taken by both parts of the stand (the LMG and the Rifle). This would account for, say, the assistant gunner/ammo feeder or the gunner being taken out and the MG not operating as efficiently as it would with a full crew. Remember also that an LMG stand if it wasn't combined would die after one hit. I know this isn't necessarily realistic but more a game balance perception/issue. Jon should wade in here and give his comments sometime soon, I hope. Sorry I can't offer any more than that. :huh:

#6 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:37 PM

The second value, for casualties, should always be less than exactly half. For combo stands, the LMG would usually be dead after one hit but because it is combined this is taken into account. Also, the "casualties" value takes into account dead and wounded soldiers as well as the overall effectiveness of the stand.

#7 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:10 PM

I guess the way I thought of it is that after the rifle boys were killed in the first hit the remaining stuff was....the LMG. Hence, for a combined stand, the LMG number is the casualty or one hit FP value.In our games, we do use the second number for the second shot, since we assume the Rifle has ROF=1, and the second number represents the greater ROF of the LMG. It also seems to make them a little more realistically effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users