• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

Greetings,One thing that I noticed from moving back and forth between the AWI and ACW when using AmBL is that , despite the statement that basing does not matter, you count figures to determine what line to fire on the Kill Table. If your figures for AWI are not the recommended three per stand, but four per stand, you will have a commensurately higher rate of casualties. I am considering setting up a table for players who already have their figs based in groups of four (like me) which will bring the casualty rate down to where it would be if they were using stands with three figures each.Comments?Gregory

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

Gregory,While the number of figures per stand are not as important, the number of actual men the figures represent does. If a regiment is say 600 men, then the number of stands represented by the regiment will be different depending upon 3 men or 4 man stands. Wth each figure representing 20 men it would take 10 3-man stands to represent the regiment, whereas it would take 7-8 4-man stands.The only difference in play would be when stands are lost for morale purposes as with more stands more morale checks would be taken. The difference in unit sizes between AWI and ACW battles was also significant except as AWI had very few large battles with lots of units where ACW had many large battles with large numbers of men. So as far as I can tell the table is unnecesary as was designed in the AmBl.

#3 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

Bob,You bring up a good point, but keeping stands at a uniform number for purposes of morale and scaling on the battlefield is what I was concerned with. Seems one solution to the question of number of stands and space is a different table, or a stand based Kill Table. Maybe not such a big deal, but one that struck me during my first game — that and the overpowering potential of artillery.Gregory

#4 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

The big thing about basing is that it doesn't matter how they are based AS LONG AS it is uniform (both sides mounted the same) in this case all things would be equal with the increased number of stands being desirable for people who don't want to rebase the minis for the game.Artillery is something that I always wanted to work over as I was not fond of the table system that is being used. Medium and heavy artillery can be nasty at close range to infantry which I don't disagree with. Lots of artillery is nasty too, as it should be - Think of Napoleon and his Grand Batteries. Light artillery is almost useless though and trying to strike a balance is the problem that engendered the current solution. Remember that the current rules are covering 1775 to 1865.

#5 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

The problem is one of degree. Artillery in massed batteries is one thing; single or pairs of guns is another, and that is where the Kill Table can sometimes produce some skewed results. Will review it more. N.B. The effect of artillery is the single biggest complaint about Battlelines.Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users