• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DAVID THORNLEY

DAVID THORNLEY

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:08 AM

I'm not completely clear on when you go to the engagement card. If the Japanese have no remaining bombardment mission, the chart says the Japanese have a supply mission or slow damaged ships, and go to Engagement H.Engagement H says to raise the index by 5, and to conduct air strikes from Henderson Field.I think the correct way to interpret this is that, when the Japanese don't have a bombardment mission surviving to that row of the chart, the index goes up by 5, and in addition the Allies can conduct air strikes on a supply mission or damaged ships if they are there. Am I correct here?It would seem unfair to deny the Allies an index increase just because the Cactus Air Force had no targets, or to provide the Japanese with a supply mission or crippled ship just because they had no bombardment mission, both of which seem more in line with the actual wording. ;)

#2 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

thornley wrote:

I'm not completely clear on when you go to the engagement card. If the Japanese have no remaining bombardment mission, the chart says the Japanese have a supply mission or slow damaged ships, and go to Engagement H.Engagement H says to raise the index by 5, and to conduct air strikes from Henderson Field.I think the correct way to interpret this is that, when the Japanese don't have a bombardment mission surviving to that row of the chart, the index goes up by 5, and in addition the Allies can conduct air strikes on a supply mission or damaged ships if they are there. Am I correct here?It would seem unfair to deny the Allies an index increase just because the Cactus Air Force had no targets, or to provide the Japanese with a supply mission or crippled ship just because they had no bombardment mission, both of which seem more in line with the actual wording. ;)

Sorry it took so long to get to your question. You are correct in your interpretation of the rule in your third paragraph. I think I understand your last question. You raise a fair point about the five Index points not being given to the Allies. Without the preconditions for Engagement "H," Henderson Field is assumed not at the same level of operation if the Supply mission or disabled ship is not present. The Japanese may not have had a Supply mission, or there were no battles that resulted in slowed crippled ships. In those cases, the Allies have in one sense "gained" Index points because the Kaigun has not earned them by lowering the Index.You are certainly free to modify this as you wish, but the game as tested was found to be fairly even with the present level of Index Points. Be careful how you adjust one element — you may throw another out of whack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users