• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Barker

Doug Barker

Private

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

We noticed that on the German gunfire damage table there is an entry under B*-CA that is split in two, "1/2 Hull:Engineering". The latter is colored to correspondwith a note for "Russian Shells". We interpret this as meaning that a hit by a Russian shell would cause an Engineering hit, but a British or Italian shell would cause half a hull box hit. There is something similar on the Austrian damage table re. Italian shells. Is our interpretation correct? What is the rationale for this?Thanks!

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

We noticed that on the German gunfire damage table there is an entry under B*-CA that is split in two, "1/2 Hull:Engineering". The latter is colored to correspondwith a note for "Russian Shells". We interpret this as meaning that a hit by a Russian shell would cause an Engineering hit, but a British or Italian shell would cause half a hull box hit. There is something similar on the Austrian damage table re. Italian shells. Is our interpretation correct? What is the rationale for this?

Your interpretation is correct. When hit by Russian shells, you would interpret this as an Engineering Hit. All other nations shells would cause a 1/2 Hull box hit. The reason for this is the superior performance of the Russian heavy shells compared to other nations. Russia has long history of building excellent artillery and this modification reflects this.

#3 William Hoyer

William Hoyer

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

I know that the Russian guns were excellent artillery, so the modification to hits is understandable. But I have never found anything about Italian guns or shells being superior. What is the rationale for this modification?

#4 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I know that the Russian guns were excellent artillery, so the modification to hits is understandable. But I have never found anything about Italian guns or shells being superior. What is the rationale for this modification?

If my understanding of what I've read and been told is correct; the Italains were given access to German heavy naval shell igniters as a sweetner for joining the Central Powers and had better shell penetration as a result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users