• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Lewis

Dan Lewis

Private

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:07 AM

I've been jotting these questions down as I come across them. Time to finally post them: 1. I'm assuming the quality of ammo table is for guns that are GT or EQ to 57mm. That quality of ammo isn't applied also to other columns listed in the AP modifiers chart. 2. Page 5.4 says reactionary fire receives a -5 modifier. But in the Advanced reference card it says the modifier is 1/2 or -3 whichever is worse. 3. Equipment table: Most listings for HE OV and HE FP show an asterisk after the value. What does the asterisk mean? I can't see to find anything that says. 4. The ammo for German 20L55 has an OV for both HE and AP, at least on tanks. The 250/9 as an example, only has AP OV. I believe it should only have the AP listing. 5. I read somewhere that the game uses a blended scale conversion to benefit infantry play. But outside of the short range stuff, what is the scale. What is 1,000 meters equivelent to in the game? 6. In an over run attack, if there are two infantry counters side by side, can the tank conduct 2 over run attacks at once? If the tank can move 6" and there is another unit behind the first one, then can it proceed to conduct two close assaults, one after the other?7. One thing I don't understand is the rules say a 'pinned' stand can perform a normal movement (but loses bonus move). If it's an AFV stand, thats reasonable. If it is an infantry stand, seems to me the word pinned is defined as "we are pinned down and can't move". Does this just apply to AFV or other vehicle?8. Looks like a typo. On 5.3 under reactionary action 2nd paragraph, says can pop stop, but should say pop smoke. How are other players marking the tank platoon leaders. I don't base my tanks. I have put antennaes on some tanks. just curious if there were other ideas.

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hi Daniel,Sorry for the delay in responding, but I have been on vacation and we have been short staffed.Now to go over your points:1. You are correct.2. The Advanced Reference Card is correct. Page 5.4 needs to be corrected.3. Equipment Table Help, Chapter 9, Page 9.3, HE FP (Fire Power), 3rd column, 2nd paragraph; "Some HE values are marked with an asterisk (*). This indicates that particular vehicle may only direct fire their HE rounds and may not indirect fire like artillery."4. The Sdkfz 251/9 needs to have the HE OV and FP added - Errata for the WW2 Data Book5. The 1st 11" of measured table space is telescoping scale, after which, 1'=50yds. We generally refer to table space is 1"=50yds as the telescoping scale only applies to the short range heavy infantry weapons such as the Bazooka, Panzerschreck, Panzerfaust, Anti-Tank Rifles, etc.6. Yes and Yes. Chapter 11, Infantry chapter, page 11.3, Vehicle Overruns section, 3rd column, 1st two paragraphs:"Armored Fighting Vehicles (AFV’s) may overrun infantry by firing their machine guns and physically running over the enemy’s position. Infantry can respond with Reaction attacks or movement out of the way. Each Overrun attack costs the vehicle +1 Move Pip whether the Overrun is successful or not, in addition to the distance travelled, terrain effects, etc. As long as it has movement remaining, it may continue to attempt to Overrun other stands. A single vehicle may only attempt one Overrun attack per stand per phase. To qualify as an Overrun, the AFV must have enough movement to pass completely over the target stand, clearing the target stand on the other side. It may not be combined with another Standard action." In the case of the two side by side stands the second stand next to the 1st would cost +1 inch to the vehicles movement to include terrain cost whatever that would be. In the 2nd case if the vehicle has the movement to contact the stand behind and have 1" left of movement to account for the +1" for each stand and it survived the other 2 stands reactionary actions, then yes it could close assault the 3rd stand. Remember that each of the stands will get to attempt Reactionary actions against the tank making the overrun.7. Pinned in the sense of the game slows units down. I understand what you are saying, but in game terms losing its bonus move, which for Infantry 3/5s of its movement. It simulates that the infantry is using slow movement to get out of a barrage using all available cover. It is a game mechanic for balancing out game play.8. Actually Pop Stop refers to the tank stopping and popping smoke. Jon, the author, refers to this as Pop Stop, his slang.Hope this clear some of the mud up for you. :)

#3 Mark 1

Mark 1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

Danlewistn wrote:

How are other players marking the tank platoon leaders. I don't base my tanks. I have put antennaes on some tanks. just curious if there were other ideas.

Dan:I also do not base my tanks. I generally find some mechanism to identify my platoon and company command vehicles, but that mechanism may vary from one set of units to another.Some examples:The most common technique I use is distinctive markings. Posted ImageFor this Romanian armored car unit, all of the vehicles have the hollow-outlined white Michael's Cross on the turret sides as a national marking (hardly visible in the picture), but only the command vehicles have the filled-in yellow-with-red Michael's Cross aerial recognition on the engine hoods.Posted ImageFor my US French-North-Africa M3 Medium Tanks the command tanks have stars painted on their hull sides, in addition to the stars on their turret sides. In this formation I've also marked the Company Sargent's tank as a command tank, as it might be used to stand-in if any of the platoon CO's get knocked out.Posted ImageFor my US late-war (ETO) M4 Medium Tanks I got a bit more lazy. The only national markings at all are the white stars on the command tanks.The next most common technique is distinctive modelling.Posted ImageIn my Italian Saharianna Camionnetta patrol the vehicle armed only with MGs is the company commander. (This vehicle also has a crewman standing with binocs ... a common identifier for commander or observer in my forces.) The 20mm gun-armed camionnettas are the platoon commanders.Posted ImageFor my US tank destroyers, I have the advantage that none of the TD tracks were command vehicles -- the battery (and company) commanders rode in armored cars. BUT so also did the battery (and company) sargents. So the commander's armored cars are identified by the crewman with binoculars. In this case I could also have (and still might) added a trailer onto the sargents' A/Cs, as they tended to tow the extra ammo for the unit.Posted ImagePosted ImageFor my Soviet SU-152s I have put commanders in the hatches. Commander figures are chest-up cuts from artillery crew (wth their helmets filed and squeezed a bit), that have been inserted into a drilled hole where the closed hatch was modelled. The open hatch is cut and painted plastic sheet.Often enough I combine the two approaches. You may have observed some distinctive modelling in the M3s in the form of extra kit on the engine decks, which is used to identify platoon sargent (or company sargent) tanks. In my Shermans the white star indicates Commander, while the crewman in the hatch (with AA HMG) indicates a 105mm howitzer tank (which, without extra distinctive modelling, can be hard to keep track of at this scale).Posted ImageFor the command tanks among my French H-39s I have removed the spare roadwheel, and painted a French roundel in its location. It may sound overly complicated, but it really isn't. On the battleboard it is pretty easy to tell which vehicle in the platoon is modelled or painted with some minor distinction. That's all it takes. Just some ideas. Hope that helps. Be interested in seeing what others have come up with.-Mark(aka: Mk 1)

#4 Dan Lewis

Dan Lewis

Private

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

MARK, those are some good ideas. I like what you've done. I still like doing the antennas though. Drill a pin hole someowhere appropriate and insert a trimmed black bristle from a cheap paint brush. They are very small and flexible. However on some vehicles I like the idea of putting not so noticable mark of sorts on the back of a tank where the opposing player can't pick out the commander so easily. I really like the pictures. You have a lot of stuff~. Do you have a good group that you play with regularly?

#5 Mark 1

Mark 1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

Danlewistn wrote:

I still like doing the antennas though. Drill a pin hole someowhere appropriate and insert a trimmed black bristle from a cheap paint brush. They are very small and flexible.

I like the look of antennae. But on the occasions when I've done them, they just don't last long enough for my purposes. I package my armies in hinged baseball card cases (or the little plastic cases CinC still uses, or Panzer Keepers) with foam, and my antennae "take it in the shorts" every time I put my vehicles in or out of the box. :(

However on some vehicles I like the idea of putting not so noticable mark of sorts on the back of a tank where the opposing player can't pick out the commander so easily.

That's very much my thinking. Visible to me, not so obvious to my opponants. That's one reason that I use different techniques on different units.

I really like the pictures.

Pics are fun. I love looking at other folks pics. My own modelling skills have improved by leaps and bounds by looking at the pics and chatting about the modelling techniques over on the GHQ Forum.

You have a lot of stuff~.

Oy, you got that right! :lol: As an example, my Romanian force:Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://i10.photobuck...nSM79s2.jpgThis is certainly the smallest force in my WW2 "active forces" box, unless I consider my French Armee d'Afrique as a seperate force from my 1940 French Armyhttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Mark-1/FrenchColonialsInfSqd2.jpgReally just getting started on this force ...But I have notably larger Italian, US 1942/43, US 1944/45, French 1940, and Soviet (any time, any place!) armies.

Do you have a good group that you play with regularly?

Not regularly enough.Game with a gang I refer to as the BATN-PPs (Bay Area TankNet Pewter-Pushers). Tanknet is an online military discussion forum populated by ~3,500 current and former tankers, notable military history authors, and general treadhead-enthusiasts. Kind of like a support group for those who are addicted to heavy metal ... :P http://i10.photobuck...eopen.jpgSorry. Really ought to switch to decaf. ;) Besides my BATN-PPs, I also do some gaming with a few members of the South Bay Gaming Club. Alas they seem to prefer another ruleset, while I like MP. But that hasn't stopped us from having some good games over the past couple years.Here are a few pics from a recent game -- Italians of the CSIR (specifically Torino and Pasubio Divisions) try to close the noose around 4 Soviet divisions near the crossroads at Loboikivka (during the battle of Petrikovka) in September of 1941. http://i10.photobuck...amesatplay.jpgI really do need to put together an AAR of that battle! Had a blast! First time my Italians actually faced off against Soviets on a battleboard -- yet that was the reason I built that army in the first place! As I said, I really gotta switch to decaf! :lol: -Mark(aka: Mk 1)

#6 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

Danlewistn wrote:Dan:I also do not base my tanks. I generally find some mechanism to identify my platoon and company command vehicles, but that mechanism may vary from one set of units to another.Some examples:The most common technique I use is distinctive markings. Posted ImageFor this Romanian armored car unit, all of the vehicles have the hollow-outlined white Michael's Cross on the turret sides as a national marking (hardly visible in the picture), but only the command vehicles have the filled-in yellow-with-red Michael's Cross aerial recognition on the engine hoods.Posted ImageFor my US French-North-Africa M3 Medium Tanks the command tanks have stars painted on their hull sides, in addition to the stars on their turret sides. In this formation I've also marked the Company Sargent's tank as a command tank, as it might be used to stand-in if any of the platoon CO's get knocked out.Posted ImageFor my US late-war (ETO) M4 Medium Tanks I got a bit more lazy. The only national markings at all are the white stars on the command tanks.The next most common technique is distinctive modelling.Posted ImageIn my Italian Saharianna Camionnetta patrol the vehicle armed only with MGs is the company commander. (This vehicle also has a crewman standing with binocs ... a common identifier for commander or observer in my forces.) The 20mm gun-armed camionnettas are the platoon commanders.Posted ImageFor my US tank destroyers, I have the advantage that none of the TD tracks were command vehicles -- the battery (and company) commanders rode in armored cars. BUT so also did the battery (and company) sargents. So the commander's armored cars are identified by the crewman with binoculars. In this case I could also have (and still might) added a trailer onto the sargents' A/Cs, as they tended to tow the extra ammo for the unit.Posted ImagePosted ImageFor my Soviet SU-152s I have put commanders in the hatches. Commander figures are chest-up cuts from artillery crew (wth their helmets filed and squeezed a bit), that have been inserted into a drilled hole where the closed hatch was modelled. The open hatch is cut and painted plastic sheet.Often enough I combine the two approaches. You may have observed some distinctive modelling in the M3s in the form of extra kit on the engine decks, which is used to identify platoon sargent (or company sargent) tanks. In my Shermans the white star indicates Commander, while the crewman in the hatch (with AA HMG) indicates a 105mm howitzer tank (which, without extra distinctive modelling, can be hard to keep track of at this scale).Posted ImageFor the command tanks among my French H-39s I have removed the spare roadwheel, and painted a French roundel in its location. It may sound overly complicated, but it really isn't. On the battleboard it is pretty easy to tell which vehicle in the platoon is modelled or painted with some minor distinction. That's all it takes. Just some ideas. Hope that helps. Be interested in seeing what others have come up with.-Mark(aka: Mk 1)

Mark, those are excellent ideas, and beat painting something on the bottom of command vehicles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users