• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Farley

Michael Farley

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

“ship wreck de luxe” I was interested in the liner depicted on the calander for the Sudden Storm campaign. I hound a site that tells about her story with the Los Angeles Steam Ship Company. Check it out here...http://maritimematters.com/2010/08/los-angeles-steamship-company/

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

The image used on the simulated calendar is indeed the SS Honolulu of the Los Angeles Steam Ship Company. And, as the website correctly states, she (and the company, for that matter) had met an unfortunate end by 1937. Even though we knew the facts, we still picked this image due to the evocative nature of the thing (probably shouldn't have used it, but c'mon, you can't beat leis, girls in grass skirts, palm trees and the Port of Honolulu tower!). The current image with one of the Dollar Lines 'President' liners is more correct to the period, if more prosaic (but I do miss the leis and grass skirts!).

#3 Michael Farley

Michael Farley

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

Yea I miss her too! Was wild to think of the ship and her name sake both burning. I kinda get the idea that safety wasnt "job one" with the LA Steamship company maybe? Still the first ship loss was nice to read that the passangers listened to jazz and had roast chicken as the boarded the life boats, oh and no loss to life is always nice as well. Still, I am really looking foward to the new campaign, thankls for the good work guys.

#4 Michael Farley

Michael Farley

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Cool time line! I had best get started on collecting those early war BB's for the Americans!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users