Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:26 AM

Can anyone suggest a few ?

#2 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

Easy and quick are Samuel Eliot Morrison's histories, but be aware, much of his work has been called into question by more recent scholarship, that does not mean you cannot use his work for one-off scenarios. For more intriguing games, try using one of our Decisions at Sea campaigns, they deliver historically based scenarios with lots of interest.

#3 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Another good source is the series of excellent books by Vincent O'Hara (Struggle for the Middle Sea, US Navy Against the Axis, The German Navy at War). Also, the series of scenario booklets by Clash of Arms is another good source of scenarios.

#4 Ships

Ships

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:41 AM

thanks indeed :)

#5 DAVID THORNLEY

DAVID THORNLEY

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

Avalanche Press has their Great War at Sea games and their WWII counterparts. These primarily feature operational scenarios that run a few days (although some in their Leyte Gulf game, now out of print, run for months), and have some battle scenarios. Their games have maps of the areas they cover, suitable for use with most campaign rules. For individual battles, use their battle scenarios or make an encounter up from their operational scenarios.

#6 Aman

Aman

Sergeant

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

I second the vote on Clash of Arms extensive series of scenario booklets for their WWII game. That gives you an historical scenario in game terms, but you can always modify it if you disagree with the author's view of history. Also, Mal Wright has a slew of games, historical scnearios, etc, I think they're also Clash of Arms. If you email Ed after browsing through the catalogue, you can probably get some of the scenario booklets as "replacement parts" and not buy an entire game, but it depends on availability of the published item.

Personally, I think Hara's account of his DD service has some excellent scenario ideas (that's the japanese Hara, not O'Hara, the infamous Sino-Irish pirate), or insight into some scenarios that you might see elsewhere.

My buddy and I are running through "The Solomons Campaign" and there's plenty of ideas there - you don't need to play the entire campaign, you can just use it to generate an interesting scenario.

#7 Richard Cornwell

Richard Cornwell

Private

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Can i suggest

http://fireonthewate...od.com/fotw.htm ?

These are for this guy's own rules but there is a very comprehensive set of scenarios, mostly historical but with a few hypotheticals as well. They are easily adapted to GQ3.

All the best

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users