9 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Cafiero

Christopher Cafiero

Private

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationRichardson, texas

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Here's the beginning of a Sudden Storm Campaign, starting with the Japanese air raid on the U.S. Fleet at Subic Bay.

The Japanese attacked with 14 flights of G3M level bombers, catching the U.S. ships motionless in port...the Japanese forces decided to go after the U.S. Battleships from BatDiv 2, and were able to allocate 6 flights against the California, and 4 flights each against the Tennessee and Oklahoma.

Prompt AA fire from the California downed one flight, and the remaining five showered her with bomb, but one non-damaging near miss and no hits. The Tennessee hit none of her attackers, and suffered a minor hit, wrecking one port side secondary battery. The Oklahoma also downed a flight of G3M's, but was pasted with two hits and a near miss. The near miss flooded half a hull box, and the first hit clanged off her thick turret armor...the second hit also damaged a half hull box, failed to penetrate a gun turret, and started a fire that destroyed another half hull box (one and one-half lost overall, speed reduced to 17 knots).

The naval yard's AA fire was desultory on the retreating bombers and did no further damage...let the games begin!

Attached Files

Christopher J. Cafiero

"I shall have no connection with any vessel that is not fast, for I intend to go in Harm's way..."

#2 Christopher Cafiero

Christopher Cafiero

Private

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Admiral Needed!

My original Sudden Storm plan had two out of town players commanding the fleets, and my local buddies fighting the battles...I thought it would neatly simulate high command; waiting back at headquarters drink coffee and smoking, while peering at the teletype ;-)

Anyhow, my Japanese Admiral had to drop out, any volunteers to command the Japanese Fleet? It's a simple process, you send all the orders, my local gamers generate the results, I post AAR bulletins as we go...

First come, first serve, just shoot me an email and the Combined Fleet awaits your orders!
Christopher J. Cafiero

"I shall have no connection with any vessel that is not fast, for I intend to go in Harm's way..."

#3 Christopher Cafiero

Christopher Cafiero

Private

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

A quick look at the Pensacola, Pennsylvania, and Arizona working up off Pearl, getting ready for the Sudden Storm campaign...

Attached Files

Christopher J. Cafiero

#4 Christopher Cafiero

Christopher Cafiero

Private

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

I've got a volunteer, thanks!

Admiral Needed!

My original Sudden Storm plan had two out of town players commanding the fleets, and my local buddies fighting the battles...I thought it would neatly simulate high command; waiting back at headquarters drink coffee and smoking, while peering at the teletype ;-)

Anyhow, my Japanese Admiral had to drop out, any volunteers to command the Japanese Fleet? It's a simple process, you send all the orders, my local gamers generate the results, I post AAR bulletins as we go...

First come, first serve, just shoot me an email and the Combined Fleet awaits your orders!

Christopher J. Cafiero

#5 gregoryk

gregoryk

GQ3 Product Manager

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Here's the beginning of a Sudden Storm Campaign, starting with the Japanese air raid on the U.S. Fleet at Subic Bay.

The Japanese attacked with 14 flights of G3M level bombers, catching the U.S. ships motionless in port...the Japanese forces decided to go after the U.S. Battleships from BatDiv 2, and were able to allocate 6 flights against the California, and 4 flights each against the Tennessee and Oklahoma.

Prompt AA fire from the California downed one flight, and the remaining five showered her with bomb, but one non-damaging near miss and no hits. The Tennessee hit none of her attackers, and suffered a minor hit, wrecking one port side secondary battery. The Oklahoma also downed a flight of G3M's, but was pasted with two hits and a near miss. The near miss flooded half a hull box, and the first hit clanged off her thick turret armor...the second hit also damaged a half hull box, failed to penetrate a gun turret, and started a fire that destroyed another half hull box (one and one-half lost overall, speed reduced to 17 knots).

The naval yard's AA fire was desultory on the retreating bombers and did no further damage...let the games begin!

Very good start, glad to see you are having good "historical" results.

Cheers,
Gregory

#6 Christopher Cafiero

Christopher Cafiero

Private

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Turn I AAR from our current game, Japan is up -1/2 points!

Photo 1: The I.J.N. Maya suffers a fatal turret explosion...

Photo 2: U.S.S. Detroit disappears in a storm of 8" gunfire...

Attached Files

Christopher J. Cafiero

#7 Jahan

Jahan

Private

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Nice AAR's and files, did you ever move onto Turn 2 and do you still need a Japanese Admiral?

#8 simanton

simanton

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Assuming it could take her, the old "Dewey" drydock at Olongapo will be busy with "Oklahoma"!

#9 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Assuming it could take her, the old "Dewey" drydock at Olongapo will be busy with "Oklahoma"!

Actually, the game assumes that in the run up to actual hostilities, the Dewey floating drydock is moved down to 'Sequoia' (the alternate forward base in Mindanao). Manila becomes way too hot for a forward base (and the move to an alternate base is in many of the Plan Orange variations).

#10 Jim O'Neil

Jim O'Neil

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSE Arizona, Sierra Vista/ Ft Huachuca area

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

The Dewey floating drydock's max lift was probably about 14,000 tons and USS OKLAHOMA isn't likely to get any help there at over 27,000 tons.

Sounds like a trip to Pearl Harbor or the West Coast for repairs.

Did this scenrio peter out or play to conclusion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users