• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Schaller

Rick Schaller

Private

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

I was wondering if the requirement to assign ships to missions by division carried over into the division assignments for a tactical battle? Would the Japanese player be required to maneuver his ships in the divisions listed on his OoB or could he mix and match as he wished?

Likewise, would the Allied player need to maneuver his Destroyer divisions as a single unit or could he create divisions for a tactical battle as he wished? Possibly even mixing Destroyers in a division with BB's or CA's?

While I see the importance of the limitation from a mission assignment standpoint, it seems a bit limiting once you get to the gaming table for a tactical battle. It could really hurt the Japanese player to have lots of different divisions in a chaotic night battle, while the allied player loses a great deal of flexibility, always having to deploy his DD's in large groups.

Thanks

#2 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

I was wondering if the requirement to assign ships to missions by division carried over into the division assignments for a tactical battle? Would the Japanese player be required to maneuver his ships in the divisions listed on his OoB or could he mix and match as he wished?

Likewise, would the Allied player need to maneuver his Destroyer divisions as a single unit or could he create divisions for a tactical battle as he wished? Possibly even mixing Destroyers in a division with BB's or CA's?

While I see the importance of the limitation from a mission assignment standpoint, it seems a bit limiting once you get to the gaming table for a tactical battle. It could really hurt the Japanese player to have lots of different divisions in a chaotic night battle, while the allied player loses a great deal of flexibility, always having to deploy his DD's in large groups.

Thanks

The ability to act safely in close proximity to one's own ships, was an important factor in the battle training that each side underwent. There is an optional rule that allows you to jigger the divisions as you wish at the start of the game. The ships should maintain their divisions in the Tactical Area.

#3 Rick Schaller

Rick Schaller

Private

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

Well, I have to say that I find this restriction puzzling. While I see the point you are making about training, would it really limit two IJN cruiser divisions from being deployed in the same "tactical division" in a night battle? It seems to me like this would give the American player an distinct advantage as he could always mix cruisers and even battleships together in any way he sees fit, while limiting the Japanese player. Especially since it is widely accepted that the Japanese had the better overall night tactics at this point in the war.

Assuming for a minute that I was to adopt these restrictions, how would you explain the set up for the historical battle of Savo Island? According to the set up that comes with TSC, the Americans not only have 2 destroyers deployed as a single divisions, they also have three divisions that have destroyers and cruiser mixed together. For the Japanese side, it is not even designated how the ships need be deployed. As I see it from the OoB sheet, they would need to be set up in three different divisions but there is nothing that seems to require that. Is the Savo Island battle something that was an exception to the rule in terms of how ships were normally deployed?

Thanks for the assistance and please understand that I am not trying to "twist or distort" existing rules. As I am familiar enough with different miniature rules systems, I know that rules cannot be written to handle every situation without being the size of an encyclopedia. I am simply trying to get a handle on the "spirit" of the rules, so that I can make good judgments when I come across something does not fit the "letter" of the rules.

#4 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

Major

• Deactivated
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Well, I have to say that I find this restriction puzzling. While I see the point you are making about training, would it really limit two IJN cruiser divisions from being deployed in the same "tactical division" in a night battle? It seems to me like this would give the American player an distinct advantage as he could always mix cruisers and even battleships together in any way he sees fit, while limiting the Japanese player. Especially since it is widely accepted that the Japanese had the better overall night tactics at this point in the war.

Assuming for a minute that I was to adopt these restrictions, how would you explain the set up for the historical battle of Savo Island? According to the set up that comes with TSC, the Americans not only have 2 destroyers deployed as a single divisions, they also have three divisions that have destroyers and cruiser mixed together. For the Japanese side, it is not even designated how the ships need be deployed. As I see it from the OoB sheet, they would need to be set up in three different divisions but there is nothing that seems to require that. Is the Savo Island battle something that was an exception to the rule in terms of how ships were normally deployed?

Thanks for the assistance and please understand that I am not trying to "twist or distort" existing rules. As I am familiar enough with different miniature rules systems, I know that rules cannot be written to handle every situation without being the size of an encyclopedia. I am simply trying to get a handle on the "spirit" of the rules, so that I can make good judgments when I come across something does not fit the "letter" of the rules.

The spirit of the rules is to have units fight in their historical formations. This does not preclude splitting off individual ships for special missions. Savo Island is definitely a special case. Destroyers were often attached to specific battle groups in the USN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users