3 replies to this topic

#1 Ricciardi Luc

Ricciardi Luc

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hello Everybody,

I just acquired a nice platoon of mounted Cossacs miniatures of the 15mm Flames of War range which is including a "Tachanka". A Tachanka consisted of HMG mounted on a horse tracted wagon (see attachment). I was wondering if I could find some solution to transcript it in MP Data Book values.

For the BPV calculation I'm proposing the cost of a DShK38 15points + Horse Wagon 12points + Horse Team 10points (15+12+10=37 BPV). This total could be considered excessive but as a compensation I would consider that no unlimber and no setup action have to be taken to be ready to fire (as for a portee). Speed could be taken from the Horse Team stats and DM from the Horse Wagon stats.

Please tell me what you think about this "hybrid construction"!

Thanks

Luc

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hello Everybody,

I just acquired a nice platoon of mounted Cossacs miniatures of the 15mm Flames of War range which is including a "Tachanka". A Tachanka consisted of HMG mounted on a horse tracted wagon (see attachment). I was wondering if I could find some solution to transcript it in MP Data Book values.

For the BPV calculation I'm proposing the cost of a DShK38 15points + Horse Wagon 12points + Horse Team 10points (15+12+10=37 BPV). This total could be considered excessive but as a compensation I would consider that no unlimber and no setup action have to be taken to be ready to fire (as for a portee). Speed could be taken from the Horse Team stats and DM from the Horse Wagon stats.

Please tell me what you think about this "hybrid construction"!

Thanks

Luc

Hi Luc,

Well actually I have this exact piece of equipment in the Polish Chapter, Soft Skin Vehicles Section, named "Taczanka". There are 3 versions labeled a, b and c. a is unarmed - BPV 10, b has an MMG - BPV 30, and c is HMG - BPV 36. There is no setup time as they are mounted on the wagon already. So I guess I have already taken care of this for you. ;)

I have no data to suggest that the Russians used this. The possible exception would be as captured equipment.
~ Bob Benge ~
ODGW Designer
Product Manager - Mein Panzer

#3 Ricciardi Luc

Ricciardi Luc

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the quick answer. As the Tachanka was probably invented during the Russian civil war and used extensively during that conflict I guess the guys from Battlefront figured it out as a relic from "Old school" Cossac units. I'm happy that my theory about BPV seems to be right. I still think it could be fun to include it in my army list.

Thanks again

Luc

#4 Mark 1

Mark 1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Please pardon a VERY late reply to this thread, but I thought I might pop in and provide just a bit of historical verification.

From a Russian WW2 History website sub-page on the fighting in the Ukraine (around Kiev):  http://war1945.ru/op...rona-kieva.html

Two lovely images, about half-way down the page, of Russian purpose-built (not improvised) tachankas in action in WW2.

1304785977_defense-kiev.jpg

Caption says:  Sample Tachanka 1941

1304785928_defense-kiev.jpg

Caption says:  Cavalry Protects Village

The concept of the tachanka was actually a Russian cavalry weapon of the first world war, which saw widespread use in the Russian Civil War, and then spread to the Polish cavalry who used it in their inter-war clashes during the opening phases of WW2. 

The Russians continued to use it as well, though perhaps more sporadically than the Polish cavalry.  One peculiarity of the Russian tachanka was that they were often (though not always) seen with a 3 horse configuration.  Polish taczankas were almost always 2 or occasionally 4 horse configurations, but never 3.  Or so I have read.

-Mark

(aka: Mk 1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users