4 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

At our last night fight in TSC a question came up that I've not found an answer to. A son of Nippon launched a spread of Long Lance at me and when the torpedoes came into range we started working our way through the resolution procedure. I rolled 1 D6 for evasion as per the rules and Condonsan suddenly said the following; "I thought the Long Lance were wakeless." I replied that I believed that to be correct. Condonsan then asked; "If that's true, what is it that you see that you are trying to evade?" (or words to that effect). I went back to the rules and could not find any modifier to or prohibition from evading Type 93 torpedoes.

I told Condonsan the results of my search, but I decided to refrain from attempting evasion any way as it just seemed right at the time. The torpedoes missed and amid my sighs of relief for the South Dakota I said to myself; "Self, just a minute here. Do you have faith in the rules. I had to immediately admit to myself that I do have a very great deal of faith in the rules being both accurate and correct.

So here is my question; Do we have a right to try to evade type 93 torpedoes even though they are wakeless. If so, why? I fully expect that the rules are right; I just do not have knowledge to articulate it. Please explain, so I can explain using your explanation.

#2 Frank

Frank

Private

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

The term used is "almost wakeless". The wake wasn't as pronounced as a steam torpedo, but it was there. I'd probably give a reduced chance of evasion, as they were faster than most torpedoes, anyway.

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, I had not heard that before. I had always heard that they were wakeless. But, it makes sense that there must be something to detect if the rules give you a chanve to evade.

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks, I had not heard that before. I had always heard that they were wakeless. But, it makes sense that there must be something to detect if the rules give you a chanve to evade.

Frank is correct. While the Type 93 had a less pronounced wake, it could still be detected. As for reducing the chance of evasion, I'd say no. The IJN torpedoes already have a higher probability of hitting. This was intentional so that the evasion roll could be kept the same across all the national CRTs (it is better design methodolgy to adjust the hit probability and keep one simple evasion mechanic than have different evasion mechanics for each nation).

For specific scenarios and cases (such as the very early Solomons where the USN was woefully under prepared for the IJN's superior night fighting tactics) you might apply a lower evasion roll. But not as a general across the board rule.

#5 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks Coastal; your story is now my story and when asked to explain I'll be sticking to my story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users