• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 GMG4RWF

GMG4RWF

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

I would suggest a moral level for the IJN with a breaking point & loss for each ship lost. also adjustments for enemy ships sunk (with a roll for Identification - small ships misidentified as large ships have a negative effect as they work to convince them that they are facing 7th fleet). I like the Idea of post Samar (Taffy 3s been swept aside) & Central force enters the gulf only to run into Oldendorf's old ladies. That's one I hadn't thought of. I've done Lee at SB Strait but it was a bad system & would like another chance.

#22 grimegt

grimegt

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

I have been trying to figure out a way to game this battle since I read the book "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" and I'm resurrecting this thread to bounce some ideas off folks.  I will game this with a slight advantage than most clubs in that the gamers playing the game may not be familiar with the battle (they are all young US Marines) and to seal the deal I will not reference the battle in my scenario write up.  My thinking is to give the IJN player in their briefing a list of USN ships they'll be facing, which of course will list the wrong classifications of those ships, which hopefully will give the IJN player a reason for caution.  I will also, write their victory conditions as they must break through without losing any capital ships and that the survival of the capital ships is more important than breaking through.  And finally, I will have the IJN fleet start at a lower morale.  It is the airstrikes that I am having trouble modeling.  My thinking is that after their initial attack run, they can make additional strafing runs but also have them role for torpedoes or bombs as if they were still loaded.  Of course, they would all be misses but the IJN player may not realize that as they made their run in and the IJN player then maneuver differently.

I'd love to hear folks' thoughts on these ideas and get any suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users