• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

Hi Guys,Been lurking for a while and have recently ordered the core rules and WW2 data book - while I have been waiting for them to arrive I have been frantically making scenery!Haven't bought any models yet - I think I will get Heroics and Ros stuff. Question to all you out there - looking for a starter combined arms force to refight actions around Stalingrad and Kursk. Any suggestions as to force make up? What will make a good game? I play games mainly with my son (15) who is a great fan of the USSR forces - would like a starter force that captures their 'feel'Thanks Dave.

#2 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

My suggestion would be to start with just tanks to get a good feel for the rules and the flow of the game. Lots of T-34s for the Russians. Pz IVs for the Germans with maybe a few Panthers. If you are familiar with the tactics of the period, you can toss out some of the other stuff the Germans had at the time ... Elephants, Tiger I's, etc. The T-34s have a rough time taking out the bigger beasts from the front and can be frustrating to play without knowing a bit about tactics.Once you have a good feel for the game, starting adding one Drop-In at a time. Maybe start with Artillery, especially since the Russians had tons of it. Some Air Support next, followed by Infantry. Infantry is a LOT of fun to play but can also be difficult to master the tactics.An important thing to remember is don't be afraid to ask questions here on the forum. If you don't understand a rule, there isn't a better place to get help.Most important ... have FUN!

#3 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply Jon - I am an old ASLer and feel I have a good grasp of the tactical basics of the period, however my son is not so hot! At last I might win a game!Getting fustrated waiting for the rules to arrive - I think the guys I have ordered from here in the UK are still trying to get hold of a copy of the WW2 data book. I will order a mix of T34's and mark IV's (won't be able to resists some Panthers and Tiger I).Really looking forward to using infantry - interesting to see them work in minatures - one of the things that I find fustrating with ASL is the lack of command and control.Thanks again for the quick reply - and don't worry I will be asking lots of questions.Regards Daveps: terrain is all made and ready to go.

#4 Robert Laplante

Robert Laplante

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

Have you received your rule book ?

#5 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

Also look at GHQ's website. They have what they call "command packs" which include all the stands necessary for a soviet tank battalion or Germnan assault groups and such. Very helpful for starter kits.www.ghqmodels.com

#6 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

Hi Guy's - recieved my rulebook, check out my first battle in the photo section. Picked a large H&R Germam army off ebay - slowly collecting Russian stuff.Hoping to get some GHQ stuff after christmas - does it look OK with the H&R models, I know the scale is a little different?

#7 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

Well done Dave! The terrain looks great and I bet Iven had lots of fun whipping up on some tigers. I think you did a great job of taking photos. Looking forward to seeing more!

#8 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

Damn!1 measely T34 for the price of 3 Tigers. Not the kind of ratio I would enjoy. Nice AAR!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users