2 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

Does anyone know where I can find information about search radar for the Australian Squadron in late 1941 and early 1942. I'm pretty certain that neither Hobart or Perth had any. But, I have no idea when Australia, Canberra, Achilles or Leander received search radar. I'm pretty certain that both Australia and Canberra had search radar by late summer 1942, but again I've no idea when (or where) they acquired it prior to August 1942. Of course if you know the answer outright that would be great also.

#2 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

Does anyone know where I can find information about search radar for the Australian Squadron in late 1941 and early 1942. I'm pretty certain that neither Hobart or Perth had any. But, I have no idea when Australia, Canberra, Achilles or Leander received search radar. I'm pretty certain that both Australia and Canberra had search radar by late summer 1942, but again I've no idea when (or where) they acquired it prior to August 1942. Of course if you know the answer outright that would be great also.

The information re: when a particular ship received what radar can be sketchy and fragmentary.  That said, the following seems pretty reliable for the early war period:

Australia-  Received Type 286 air/surface search radar (R=) , Type 284 main gun fire control radar (R-) and Type 285 secondary fire control radar (R-) 12/40.  No other radars added until 1943.

Canberra-  Received Type 281 air search radar (R+) 10/41.  No other radars added before she was lost.

Hobart-  Received Type 279 surface search radar (R=) and Type 284 main gun fire control radar (R-) and Type 285 secondary fire control radar (R-) 10/42.  None prior to 10/42.     

Perth-   Received Type 286 air/surface search radar (R=) 10/41.  No other radars added before she was lost.

Achilles-  No radars fitted.

Leander-  Received Type 284 main gun fire control radar (R-) 10/42.

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users