• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Burton

Andrew Burton

Private

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

Sherman tank M4A2 why does its side armor not increase from the M4A1, because the A2 they added plates to its side to help it survive a hit.

#2 Mark 1

Mark 1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

The presence of add-on armor has nothing to do with the tank being an M4A2, it has to do with the tank being a mid-war production Sherman.  The same is true with the wider M34A1 gun mantlet.  M4, M4a1 and M4A4 all also had applique armor applied to their sides in mid-war production, and received the M34A1 mantlet.  M4, M4A1 and M4A2 all had the applique armor omitted from late-war production.

The impact of the applique armor was relatively minor. It only covers a very small portion of the tank's side, immediately over the ammunition racks.  It was provided due to the number of tanks that were destroyed  by ammunition fires during the Tunisian campaign.  It was found that some of these tanks suffered fired from hits from relatively weak guns (in particular from German 50mmL42 in the older Pz III models).  The applique was thought to be effective against such guns, as well as the German 37mm Pak 36. 

Not speaking on behalf of ODGW, but I would expect modelling this relatively minor increment in protection would require a substantial increment in the complexity of the game.  The running gear, the engine, the majority of the hull side, the entire turret side received no extra protection.  Mein Panzer does not distinguish between hull and turret armor, much less between some small portion of the hull that might be a bit thicker than the rest of the hull.

It's a trade-off of game detail vs. game complexity.  There are games that give you 8, 10, or 12 different places on the tank that you might have hit on each aspect of the tank you might fire at, which might each have different levels of armor protection.  If you want games of that complexity, they exist.  You will find it difficult to play with more than about a platoon for each player when you start with those rules. 

Mein Panzer does an admirable job of balancing the level of detail with the level of gameplay, in my opinion.  It is the best ruleset I've found for combined arms actions (tanks, infantry, AT guns, etc.) at a level where each player can push a re-enforced company or more and battles can be battalion or even multi-battalion in size.  You won't be able to achieve that in rules that worry about whether you hit him above or below the return run of the track.

Just my opinions.  Consider or disregard at your discretion.

-Mark

#3 Peter M. Skaar

Peter M. Skaar

Captain

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 10:38 PM

There is always that trade off between added complexity and ease of play.  I think that Mein Panzer does an admirable job trying to balance the two aspects.  One can always make a house rule for add-on armor or anything else if you want to do that.  I have played with a few of my own house rules for this game.

#4 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 901 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 06:36 AM

Andrew

Peter and Mark hit the nail on the head.  We have extensively play tested Mein Panzer to make the game fun and thus people want to play it.   Play-ability is one reason there are only 4 hit locations on a vehicle.  When compiling vehicle stats this can be somewhat subjective.  The M4A2 that rolled off the production line in the US was not the same M4A2 that survived the war.  Also a later Mk of a vehicle is not always an improvement from the previous Mk, contrary to logical thinking.  Field modifications were and are always made to over come a "item" found that the original designers either thought too much or not enough about.  One such item is reported tenancy of US tankers disabling the gyroscopic stabilization in the Sherman for reasons of their own.

Adding applique, sandbag, tank tracks, or wooden beams can increase a vehicles armor protection, but usually at a price of maneuverability and speed.  Also with different armor additions how much protection is actually gained?  All good questions and everybody has their own answers.

We (ODGW) encourage Gamers to let us know if they feel that we have a vehicle stat wrong.  We will be glad to review and re-evaluate.  Gamers should provide reference / documentation from the real world to support their position.  Opinions and "plays like" in other games is nice but nothing to hang a hat upon.

If you feel that strong about your opinions, then as Peter suggested, House Rules are fine.  We (ODGW) encourages house rules and recommend you publish them here so every one can try them out.  If we like it enough we might put it in the official game (with your permission of course).

Hope this helps your understanding.

If there are any questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

--Kenny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users