5 replies to this topic

#1 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

We are about to attempt a night fight battle. rather armored skirmish during operation citadel. My question is....Do Tigers, panthers or Mark IVh have flares available in '43? I doubt the T-34/76b did but I'll ask just the same. I guess this would be considered an "Illumination round" available to artillery. But like I said, fishing for information.

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:52 PM

There is nothing listed for the tank as to flares or flare guns for that matter in any of the books I have. I strongly believe, though, that the tank crew had a persnal very pistol for communications and for flares. This would not necesarily be listed in anything but a highly detailed listing of tank and crew. It isn't in any on my specific tank books though...

#3 Sacha

Sacha

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

I do know the late model Tiger and Panther had the grenade launchers attached to the tureet, 3 on either side. Usually for popping smoke or just as a general purpose grenade launcher, anti personnel.well, I guess that answers my question.

#4 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:55 AM

More info for you Sacha.These "grenade launchers"; Nahverteidigungswaffe - a 92mm flare gun type launcher mounted to the turrets of the later Tiger I, Panther, Jagdpanther, Tiger II, Jagdtiger, Sturmtiger, StuG III, Pzkpfw IV and S-Mine system - mounted at fixed locations on the tank hull on the early Tiger Is, were self-defense weapons. The Nahverteidigungswaffe could fire smoke, colored smoke, Illumination rounds or anti-personnel grenades. Yes, illumination rounds. Check out this very informative website on the Nahverteidigungswaffe that I had bookmarked earlier but forgot about until today!?! http://www.custermen...vert/nah.htmThe S-Mine system was purely a self defense weapon that was preloaded with anti-personnel grenades only. The Tiger I also had the smoke dischargers mounted to the turret that fired only smoke.B)

#5 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

For those out there new to the game and/or forum ... Bob's nickname is "Encyclopedia Bob". ;)

#6 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

Awww, geee....:blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users