• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

Hi everyone, just purchased the digital download of Post Captain and finished my first read-through. First, I want to say what an enjoyable rulebook to read. The rules seem very comprehensive and I can't wait to get some ships on the table...

Anyway a little about me. Several years ago I was a playtester for Mein Panzer, which is still my favourite WW2 miniature game. Recently I have been playing a lot of boardgames and especially Flying Colors, which is excellent for large engagements. I have just finished a biography of Lord Cochrane and had the urge to play some smaller actions. Flying Colors does have rules for individual ship and small engagements but the compromises of that system that allow for major fleet actions to be completed in a single session do not give the right 'feel' or 'crunchiness' for smaller actions. Also, on my gaming shelf is Wooden Ships & Iron Men as well as Close Action which are more detailed system but I wanted a sailing model not confined to a hex grid. So, after a few days research I came across Post Captain - so far it seems to fulfil all my requirements!

I have purchased a few kits from War Artisan, I have never done paper modelling before but will give it my best shot. Once I complete a frigate on frigate action I will post an AAR and my initial thoughts. No doubt you may see some rule posts from me but so far I feel pretty good to go.

Dave 'Trotsky' Murray

#2 RazorMind

RazorMind

Corporal

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

You will love this one for the smaller actions, it is my go to set for sure

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.

Capt. John Paul Jones

#3 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:50 AM

I am feeling pretty enthused about the game at present - just need to catch a break from work to get it on the table. Just built two frigates from War Artisan and going to try soloing, scenario 6 HMS Nymphe vs Cléopâtre. That looks a pretty balanced fight. Need to come up with some tactics for both sides. The Nymphe has the carronades so I suppose needs to close to get a firepower advantage. Cléopâtre is a little quicker and has a bigger crew so might have an advantage in boarding... hmm.... difficult decisions...

#4 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

Dave,  Welcome back!  Thanks for supporting ODGW.  Looking forward to your AARs!!

ODGW Staff

#5 Trotsky

Trotsky

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:07 PM

Hi Kenny - Post Captain seems a very fine game. I have already started a AAR over in the lounge - Nymphe vs Cléopâtre 1793 - my first adventure into Post Captain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users