Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

I know the following DF existed at the start of the war:

DF 1: I class (Acheron)

DF 2: H dlass (Acorn)

DF 3: L class (Harwich Force)

DF 4: K class (Acasta)

DF 5: G class (Beagle) Med.

DF 6: F class (Tribal) Dover (Patrol)

DF 7: Humber (Patrol) mixture of A (surviving 27 knotters),  B (4 funnel) & C (3 funnel), D (2 funnel) 30 knotter classes & E class (Rivers)

DF 8: Firth of Fourth (Patrol) as per DF 8

DF 9: Tyne (Patrol) as per DF 8

By Jutland, DF 3 had become DF 9 and the M and repeat M classes had formed (or were forming) DF 10, 11, 12 & 13.

My questions are?

1. Does anyone know when DF 3 was re designated DF 9 

2. Was DF 3 reformed from other DD

3. What happened to DF 7 & 8

#2 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 744 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:10 AM

According to the Dreadnought Project, DF 3 was redesignated DF 9 on September 7, 1915. DF 3 was originally formed from the Nore Destroyer Flotilla.

See notations here:

http://www.dreadnoug...la_(Royal_Navy)

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

Thanks, I found that right after I posted. Its fairly easy to follow cruiser assignments during the war, but I find that the destroyer flotillas tend only get mentioned when they are present at a major fight and even then all you get is a snapshot of what is present. The RN had such large flotillas (five 4 ship divisions being the norm) because they expected about 20 percent to be absent for repair or refit or other reasons at any given moment. The constant detachments from the flotillas for various reasons when coupled with their need for repair and refitting makes it impossible to guess why large portions of various flotillas are not present at various fights. It also makes it tough to nail them down for campaign purposes.

Another issue is that there are significant destroyer assets available in mid 1916 like the 2nd DF (H class) at Plymouth, but I've been unable to determine what if any could have been committed to the Channel to support the 3rd BS and Harwich Force if the Germans struck there as the Brits constantly feared they would do. I keep for looking for a publication that looks at RN destroyer deployments in WWI in depth to no avail. I guess the only thing I can do is to follow Dave Franklin's advice and "keep on banging".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users