#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

What to do if you are Dutch

Well, what a question? Being Dutch in late 1941, early 1942 poses a problem; you don’t speak English and you use a different signaling system. So you add command control issues to any Allied force you combine with. But, you are too weak to operate on your own.

Let us look at what being Dutch in late 1941 gives us to fight with (and it is not much). You have;

CL HrMs De Ruyter; three 5.9” D12 & one 5.9” D24 with no rapid fire.

CL HrMs Java; three 5.9” D12 & one 5.9” D24 with no rapid fire.

CL HrMs Tromp; three 5.9” D12 with no rapid fire & 2 triple TT

DD HrMs Evertsen, Van Ghent, Van Nes, Banckert, Kortenaer, Piet Hein & Witte de With; two 4.7” D12 & 2 triple TT

There is no situation where you have an advantage if Japanese heavy cruisers are present (and they will almost always be present). Everything I’ve said about the British needing to join with the Americans at Surabaya applies to you and then some.

Now I’m assuming you are not playing an option where you have BCs. With that in mind, on GT2 transfer to Surabaya. On GT3 don’t take the Dutch reinforcements. Why not, you might very well ask? Here is why; they are armed with 4” which is only ½ EDR damage; rather (now that the ABDA is formed) give your CD to the ANZACs so they can both sortie and take their reinforcements (three N class DDs, three 4.7” D12 & 1 quintuple TT along with radar). You can combine with the USN now and sortie in their sweep using their CD. From now on your ships are filler, allowing the USN and later the RN to sortie full strength sweeps from Surabaya against the EAF.

If you are playing a BC option; it’s a totally different story. Now, you are a bad ass and you should sortie from Batavia against the EAF central axis every turn. You want daylight engagements (shun the night) no matter what.

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

At least the Dutch torpedoes work...

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

True

#4 Gunner reynolds

Gunner reynolds

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLafayette IN

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

WHERE CAN i GET THE STATS FOR THE DUTCH SHIP

JAVE   DE RUYTER

AND THE 4 PIPES THE USN

USED??????

#5 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Well, you could pick up the Defending the Malay Barrier Campaign booklet, or pickup the Netherlands Navy supplement.

#6 Gunner reynolds

Gunner reynolds

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLafayette IN

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

Where would I find Netherland Navy supplement.  Not wanting to spend $22 for for 6 shipsdata sheets

#7 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:10 AM

The RNN Supplement is available in the GQ Private Access Library.

#8 Gunner reynolds

Gunner reynolds

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLafayette IN

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

I can't find the GQ Private access library.  I registered after I bought the GQ III book.

Help please

#9 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

You need to be logged in, then from the Home page, select Download Library -> Private Access Library.

If it doesn't show up, you might want to post something under the Website Support section.

Dave

#10 Gunner reynolds

Gunner reynolds

Private

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLafayette IN

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

I don't see a link to that area. SO I try web support   

Thanks for the help

#11 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

The Netherlands supplement is available in the store as a digital download (link below):

https://www.odgw.com...gital-download/

#12 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

At least the Dutch torpedoes work...

Actually the US torpedoes on the 'flush decks' in the early war are the older Mk 11 (IIRC) without the troublesome Mk 6 exploder,  So the dud problem wouldn't exist.  

#13 tromp1639

tromp1639

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:57 PM

Netherlands charts. How do you guys know what the Dutch ships combat abilities are? Which ships can Rapid Fire, etc.

#14 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 05:34 PM

If you examine the Dutch CRT you will see that the darker blue bands (the ones that show which guns can rapidly fire and to what ranges) apply only to 4.7" and smaller. So, the Dutch like the IJN, French and Italian navies do not rapid fire with anything not primarily intended as an AA weapon with a few specific exceptions (Dutch DDs).This is a real problem tactically for those navies taking on navies that can rapidly fire and/or navies like the Dutch taking on 8" cruisers with 6" cruisers that cannot smother the 8" cruisers even at point blank range. I hope this comes from you being about to play DTMB and that you are trying to figure out how to get the most out of the Dutch. IMHO the Dutch without exercising a capital ship option do not have a given tactical situation in which their existing cruisers and DDs will be favored against the Japanese if Japanese heavy cruisers are present. The Japanese 8" cruisers present in the WAF(Singapore Axis) and EAF (Surabaya Axis) are all Myoko, Takaeo or Mogami classes. That is to say; 10x8" and lots of Type 93 torps. Even the Eendratch class cruisers are completely out classed by those Japanese cruiser classes in both quantity and quality. My advice without capital ships is to transfer to Surabaya and combine with the USN/RN to make up for the Dutch weakness on their own. If you fight the Dutch, please post AAR here on the Forum as they will be read with great interest by the rest of us.

#15 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 05:40 PM

Oh, and if you encounter fog, I hope you do not run into the Japanese as I once did literally. I can still hear the welds breaking and rivets popping. I managed to lose the entire Dutch EI Fleet in one engagement with only 2 damaged DDs escaping the immediate slaughter and of course Japanese LBA sank them both on their way back to Batavia.

#16 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 08:32 AM

tromp1639,

As Bill explained, which Dutch guns have the ability to rapid fire is shown by the "reverse print" on the Royal Netherlands Navy Gunfire CRT (consistent with any of the other navy's).

Dave

#17 DarinLek

DarinLek

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNew-york

Posted 09 May 2023 - 01:02 AM

In my opinion you are not right. I can prove it. Write to me in PM.

sassa

#18 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 12:55 PM

I will, but if your argument is correct, I will need to acknowledge it here as I would have given out incorrect information. And that is never my intent. 

WMC

#19 kiwi red one

kiwi red one

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 09:14 PM

If you fight the Dutch, please post AAR here on the Forum as they will be read with great interest by the rest of us.

OK I will....here's a link to a series of reports on the campaign refight that a few of us fought here in NZ last year....ABDA was fairly lucky overall.....

Please note that we used GQ 1 & 2, not GQ 3 in all the battles that were fought.

https://www.pendrake...ic,21410.0.html

#20 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 06:57 AM

Great to see another playing of the campaign.  It can be a tough go for the Japanese from the Campaign's perspective, particularly for the EAF, but obviously they will prevail eventually - i.e. what would be a turn or two after the game ends.  I don't know that I've heard of anyone else playing it with GQ1/2, vice GQ3, and it's been so long since I played GQ1/2, I can't really comment on what effect that might have had.  Most importantly, it sounds like everyone had fun!

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users