Photo

Vehicles in or missing in the SCW Databook?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Enge

Marco Enge

Private

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi all,after my first "scan" through the list of vehicles of the SCW Databook I wonder if the "Basque Light Tank" should reflect the "Trubia 75HP Serie A"or the "Trubia-Naval Mod.1936" Whatever it reflects I would miss the other then :)Both Trubias existed and were used in combat in the civil war.Other vehicles which should be added:Barbastro Tank (1 photo of its existence)Landesa-Naval Artillery TractorCitroen Kegresse Schneider P16 (a halftrack vehicle, not sure if it was used, but it did exist one in 1932 which was transrfered to the troops in Northafrica)Panzerbefehlswagen IDoes anybody have a proof (photo) of the use of any Pz II in the spanish civial war?These Prototypes would be interesting too :)Infantrytank C.C.I. 1937Light Tank VerdejakrgdsAbraxxPost edited by: Abraxx, at: 2006/02/12 10:38

Post edited by: Abraxx, at: 2006/02/12 11:41

#2 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:56 AM

Hey Abraxx,In my research either I didn't find these vehicles or the stats for them to be able to enter them into the book. If you can get me statistics for these vehicles then I will be more than happy to add them to the book. I need; weapon types and locations, top speed, armor thicknesses (if armored) for all sides, top and bottom, height and length, weight, towing weight (for trucks/tractors) and personnel carried (if applicable). :)

#3 Marco Enge

Marco Enge

Private

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hi Bob,so here we go with some vehicles of the Spanish Civil War.Source is mainly Javier de Mazarrasa one of the very few spanish authors on armored vehicles in Spain. Also the Magazine Defensa.Let me know if you have questions.Trubia 75HP Serie A, Mod. 1926Weapon type: 3-4 Hotchkiss MG 7mmLocation: used in Oviedo 1936-37, 3 by the Nationalist and 1 by the RepublicansTop Speed: 19 km/h (though other sources state 30 km/h, I think 19 is more likely considering the 75HP engine)Armor Front: 20mm 45°partlyArmor Side: 20mm 0°Armor Rear: 12mm 0°Armor Top: ? 4mm, likely to be 4 tooArmor Bottom: 4mmArmor Turret: 16mm 0° Height: 2,39mLenght: 5,38mWeight: 8,1 - 8,9tRange: 100kmTowing Weight: -Personnel: 3Light Tank Trubia Mod. 1936, or Landesa L.A. Modelo 1936 (sometimes also refered to as Euzkadi)Weapon type: 2 Lewis MG 7,7mm (later others where used like the russian 7,62mm DT)Location: 20-25 were built, used in Vizcaya, Bilbao, Santander, around Gijon (Asturias), first used by the Republicans, then some captured by the NationalistTop Speed: 42 km/hArmor Front: 13mm + 3mmArmor Side: 13mm + 3mmArmor Rear: 8mmArmor Top: 8mmArmor Bottom: 8mmArmor Turret: 13mm + 3mm Height: 1,85mLenght: 3,55mWeight: 5,5tRange: "8 hours", whatever average range that might be :)Towing Weight: -Personnel: 3Tanque "Barbastro"Weapon type: 1 MG Location: around Barbastro (where many Tiznaos were built too)Top Speed: ?Armor Front: ? Armor likely to be similar to Tiznaos build in that factory, so not even really bullet proof to 7,62mmArmor Side: ?Armor Rear: ?Armor Top: ?Armor Bottom: ?Armor Turret: ?Height: ?Length: ?Weight: ? Range: ?Towing Weight: -Personnel: 4Ok thats for the moment, I feel a flu coming. Will send you some data on these vehicles too:Tractor LandesaAssault Tank IGC SadurniTransport IGC SadurniVerdeja (Prototype only, likely not used)Infantrytank C.C.I. 1937 (Prototype only, likely not used)Citroen Kegresse Schneider P16 Tipo M29 (one existed with Nationalist troops in Northafrica, though not known if it was used in Spain later)Even one Vickers 6ton Tank was bought from Bolivia by the Republicans yet its also not known if it was used in combat!krgdsAbraxxPS if you drop me an email I'll send you some pics tooWritten on the tank is: "Grupo Construcción de Tanques Barbastro", picture taken on the street to the city Huesca Posted Image

Post edited by: Abraxx, at: 2006/02/13 11:30

#4 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStephens City, VA

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:02 PM

That is one ugly tank ... I LOVE IT.Feel free to post some photos in the Photo Album. I'd love to see more and I'm sure Encyclopedia Bob will too.

#5 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:16 AM

Oh yes I would, Jon!Abraxx, what side(s) used the Tanque "Barbastro"? Any pictures of it, too? :side:

#6 Marco Enge

Marco Enge

Private

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hi Bob,the pic I uploaded into my thread here is a Barbastro tank (the only one I have ever seen of it). Likely that it was used by the Republicans.Here is a page with some infos too, but in spanish.http://republicaomuerte.iespana.es/abarbastro.htmLooks like this little factory beside many Tiznaos build some more tanks, yet no photos of these rare examples exist anymore and only very few eyewitnesses. Though they were of very questionable tactical use (mainly propaganda and moral), some of the rare tanks and armored vehicles (Tiznaos or Tiznados) of the SCW are still very interesting. If not funny :)rgdsAbraxx

#7 Marco Enge

Marco Enge

Private

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:13 AM

By the way, before I post some more data, here are some of the sources I use (since there aren't many good books, I think this might be valuable for those interested in armored vehicles of this theater):So these are the best books I can recommend (some might be available in english too):Blindados y Carros de Combat espanoles (1906 - 1939)Extra Defensa 45, Jul 1996Blindados en Espana, 1a Parte La Guerra Civil 1936 - 1939Javier de Mazarrasa, Quiron EdicionesISBN 84-87314-03-1Blindados en Espana, 2a Parte La dificil Postguerra 1939 - 1960Javier de Mazarrasa, Quiron EdicionesISBN 84-87314-10-4Los Carros de Combate Trubia 1925 - 1939Artemio Mortera Perez, Quiron EdicionesISBN 84-87314-06-6Armas para EspanaLa historia no contada de la Guerra Civil espnolaGerald Howson, Ediciones PeninsulaISBN 84-8307-304-8Other interesting books about the SCW but with fewer info on armor and weapons:La guerra civil espnola I & IIHugh Thomas, MondadoriISBN 84-397-0806-8The Spanish Civil War 1936 - 1939Frances Lannon, Osprey PublishingThe Spanish Civil War 1936-39Patrick Turnbull, Osprey PublishingThe Ebro 1938Chris Henry, Osprey PublishingBut honestly the Osprey books, though very colorful, are of much lower quality research and information wise.my 2 centsrgdsAbraxx

Post edited by: Abraxx, at: 2006/02/14 06:14

#8 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:05 AM

Hey Abraxx,When you get a chance, would you add the books you used and posted here to the ODGW Bibliography section under the Members Menu. If you don't have this option available let me know. Thanks for the info too! :)

#9 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

Abraxx,Just saw the photos in the Photo Album. Cool Beans! I have an old book here someplace that has tons of photos from the SCW. I'll sniff through it when I get the chance and see if it has any good vehicle photos in it.Thanks!

#10 Marco Enge

Marco Enge

Private

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hi Jon,whats the name of the book with that many SCW pics?I post some more pics and data as soon as my flu gets better and I sorted out some work stuff.rgdsAbraxxPS hope that "Mein Panzer" arrives soon :)

#11 Jonathan Coulter

Jonathan Coulter

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

Just posted details of the book in the ODGW Bibliography. A lot of pictures but sadly, nothing as far as armor. One picture of some armored trucks, but that was it. A few photos of artillery or aircraft. Mostly infantry related, and lost of wartime posters.

#12 Harlan Garrett

Harlan Garrett

Private

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

The Panzer Ia is not listed in the data sheets, but is listed in Scenario 57. It is listed in the German WWII sheets. Harlan:)

#13 Bob Benge

Bob Benge

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:05 AM

Hmmm, I'll have to add it then. Thanks! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users