• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:35 PM

Been playing with a 1 hit point total per ship instead of separate hit points for hull, crew and rigging.  This is what Black Seas does.  You loose a little chrome off Post Captain but it does speed play and to me the beauty of Post Captain is the sailing.  The Sailing rules make an Age of Sailing game.  Anyway I am still just messing around with it.  If you are interested in my thoughts I did a playtest with 2 brigs Gina provided us from her War of 1812 game set on Lake Ontario also found on this forum.  I hope it gets published Gina; I will buy it!   Found here:

https://platoonforwa...ke-ontario.html

Cheers

Joe

PS    Brian, let me know what you think.  This is your area not mine.

#2 Phil Callcott

Phil Callcott

Corporal

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

Hi Joe,

You could try this scenario:-

One of Lord Cochrane's most notable exploits was the capture of the Spanish xebec frigate El Gamo on 6 May 1801.  

El Gamo carried 32 guns and 319 men, compared with Speedy's 14 guns and 54 men.  
Cochrane flew an American flag and approached so closely to El Gamo that her guns could not depress to fire on Speedy's hull.  The Spanish tried to board and take over the ship but, whenever they were about to board, Cochrane pulled away briefly and fired on the concentrated boarding parties with his ship's guns. Eventually, Cochrane boarded El Gamo and captured her, despite being outnumbered about six to one.

It will take some nifty sailing to pull that off.

Regards, Phil

#3 Joseph Legan

Joseph Legan

Private

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

Phil,

Cochrane was quite a guy.  That would be a challenge.  El Gamo must have been a big xebec.  If I get one will have to give that a try.

Thanks for the scenario!

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users