• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lturban

lturban

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:11 PM

Battleships (BA-B*) have bulkhead marked on their ship logs but I can't find a way for them to take bulkhead hits. There aren't any on gunfire or mine/torpedo damage tables. Can they take bulkhead hits?

I was reading the about Taranto and I don't think those results would be possible on GQ system without bulkhead hits. 

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

You are correct the Gunfire and Mine/Torpedo Damage tables do not provide for a bulkhead hit on BA-BD ships.  Note that on the Mine/Torpedo Damage table, B* is in the column AC - AV • B*, so a bulkhead hit on an old pre-dreadnought is exceptionally likely.  For rationale, I suspect Lonnie would state something like in general, battleships were big enough and tough enough (protected and subdivided) to such an extent that the damage model didn't warrant a bulkhead result, given all the applicable factors and constraints (e.g. having another row in the Critical Hit table with a bulkhead result might have been nice, but there wasn't room).

As for the results from Taranto, I doesn't seem to me to be an issue.  None of the three BBs hit (Caio Duilio, Conte di Cavour and Littorio) were sunk/destroyed such that they would not have been repairable.  The fact that Conte di Cavour did not return to service before Italy was knocked out of the war is more attributable to Italy's lack of repair capacity and resources.  Just my $0.02...

Dave

#3 lturban

lturban

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

You are probably right. Ammunition hit on critical hit table could cover all catastrophic damage anyway so it's allright. I was just wondering the design behind it and if I had missed something in the rules. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Dave pretty much nailed the point.  Due to the much higher level of subdivision and strength of construction, plus being heavily armored, modern battleships are considered excepted from the effects of a bulkhead hit.  The bulkhead hit reflects a major structural failure across a wide section of the ship.  Generally, this sort of damage is not seen in the larger, more heavily armored and subdivided ships.     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users