• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 m1017242

m1017242

Private

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:30 AM

So I just played a game with my friend, RN vs. IJN. And he complained about the warhead sensitivity rule seems to be a hard debuff with no way to overcome (he mentioned the other debuffs like the Mk.14 torpedoes fail by chance while this is a certainty). Is there any historical backing to this or should there be a way for at least some of the torps to go through wake?

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:56 AM

I play the majority of optional rules, but this is one I missed, and don't.  I guess part of that is due to the torpedo rules I use.  It does seem pretty extreme.  You could put in a house rule if you don't think it's warranted as written.  It could be something as simple as rolling a D12 for the spread: 1-3 the entire spread is lost, 4-6 the number of torpedoes in the spread is halved (round down), 7-9 the number of torpedoes in the spread is halved (round up), 10-12 the spread is unaffected.

• Brooks Witten likes this

#3 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:44 AM

Actually, the optional rule is supported by the historical record.  The Japanese torpedo pistol was highly sensitive and could be set off by the turbulent ships wake (especial large ships at high speed).  However, given the dynamics of most torpedo actions, the impact of this optional rule would, at best, be minimal.  And, to be honest, the complexity of the rule modification suggested by the above post doesn't seem justified as most torpedoes rarely encounter any ships beyond their initial targets. 

However, if this rule is used (or misused) in an unrealistic "gamey" fashion (such as posting a thoroughly ahistorical "skirmish" line of ships off a battleline to set off any torpedoes) then I would definitely NOT use this rule.  Keep in mind, the USN knew next to nothing about the Type 93 torpedo and didn't became aware of its capabilities until after the war.                

• Brooks Witten likes this

#4 Brooks Witten

Brooks Witten

Private

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, By God!

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

So I just played a game with my friend, RN vs. IJN. And he complained about the warhead sensitivity rule seems to be a hard debuff with no way to overcome (he mentioned the other debuffs like the Mk.14 torpedoes fail by chance while this is a certainty). Is there any historical backing to this or should there be a way for at least some of the torps to go through wake?

In case you'd like a well written 'primer' on torpedoes in the Pacific theatre check out the link below.

https://www.history....08/h-008-3.html

The historical record is 'rife' with reports of torpedoes exploding in the wakes of every nations warships.   And a good set of wargame rules (as is GQ3) reflect the actual conditions experienced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users