• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BKennedy

BKennedy

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:29 PM

I am working on a scenario for the attack on Wake Island 1941. I am looking for the AA Factors for the Marine Defense Battalion for use against small boats during the landing and aircraft bombing.

The Marines had three 4x 3" gun AA batteries, each with a searchlight, based on Wilkes, Pearl, and Wake Islands. They could not cover the water but were good against aircraft. What AA Factor and range could they cover?

Each island also had a 2x 5" gun batteries which could cover the water but were not capable against aircraft. What would be their anti-boat AA Factors and range?

The Marines also had a 3" anti-boat gun on the beach which could engage boats but not aircraft. What would it's AA Factor and range allowed be?

The beach defense also had MG positions covering the water, usually in pairs, which would be anti-boat, but not anti-aircraft capable. What would be the Anti-Boat AA Factors and range allowed for: 

1x .50 cal MG & 1x .30 cal MG:

2x .50 cal MGs:

2x .50 cal MGs & 1x .30 cal MG:

3x .50 cal MGs:

4x .50 cal MGs:

4x .50 cal MGs & 1x .30 cal MG:

#2 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:29 AM

BKennedy,

The Bonus Doc USA AA factors file will have the info you need, just treat the 5"/51s the Marines had like any other US 5".  I made a 1-turn "Decision at Sea" format mini-campaign (which at one turn involved very few decisions...) for the Relief of Wake Island awhile back, so I did quite a bit of reading/research.  IIRC, the 3" ammo the Marines had was defective, so you might want to ding them until and unless USS Tangier arrives with reinforcements, at which point their AA and Fighter Direction (if they have any fighters left) could be considered radar-directed.

Dave

#3 BKennedy

BKennedy

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

I bought GQ3 before I had a Computer and lost the purchase verification number. I can download stuff from Sudden storm, FAI, North Sea Campaign, and Post Capitan but not GQ3. what would be the 4x 3" battery AA Factor and would the 50/30 cal mgs get an AA Factor vs Small Craft???

#4 Dave Franklin

Dave Franklin

Captain

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs CO

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:50 AM

BKennedy,

The following are the Close/Long Range values from the USA AA factors file for the various guns needed:

MGs:  0.05 / -

3":  0.2 / 0.25

5":  0.2 / 0.4

Dave

#5 BKennedy

BKennedy

Private

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

Thanks, I really needed this.

Brue