Photo

To destroy a main armament box...1 hit or 2?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robeubanks

robeubanks

Private

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:47 PM

Sorry, but I guess I'm trying to read something into the rules that may not be there.  Why do the rules refer to all main armament boxes needing a hit before a second hit is marked on them?  Does it take two hits to knock out the main armament boxes?  Could someone clarify this for me, please?

Thanks all!

#2 Phil Callcott

Phil Callcott

Corporal

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

Only one hit is required to take out a main turret.

Assume a typical BB with four turrets, A, B, X, Y.  

You hit a turret on an enemy ship heading towards you, your opponent elects to strike off turret A.

You hit a turret again, your opponent cannot elect to allocate the second hit to turret A, he must strike off turret B.

After all turrets have been hit once, and struck off, any further hits on turrets cause no further damage to the target ship.

A better option is to use optional rule in Section 1.7.5 on page 5-2

Regards, Phil

#3 mburdette

mburdette

Private

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

Rob and Phil,

According to rule 7.9.3 it takes two hits to destroy rudder, WT or main batteries. If a main battery turret only has one hit it can possibly be repaired. There is actually a "Turret-WT" column on the Damage Control chart.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT the case in GQ-3.

Mark

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:38 PM

The '2 hit to destroy' a turret rule does exist in FAI (rule 7.9.3) and not in GQ3.3.  The rationale behind the having the main turrets reparable in the one and not the other has to do with the differences in the technology from one period to the other (the earlier being more basic and the later more complicated).  That said, in the many FAI games I've played or GM'd, this rule has rarely (if ever) been used. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users