3 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:55 PM

I've a question. The Georges Averof's armor on her SDS is rated as BD for her armored belt and CA for her MB turrets. But both her belt and her turrets were 7.9" thick at their thickest point. Shouldn't she be either BD-BD or CA-CA?

#2 W. Clark

W. Clark

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

Let me ask one more question on the Averof. Her 7.5" secondary was made by Armstrong Whitworth (A British gun maker) as were her 9.2" (I believe). Why does she use the RMI gunnery chart for them instead of the RN chart as she does for the 9.2"?

#3 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 03:06 PM

I've a question. The Georges Averof's armor on her SDS is rated as BD for her armored belt and CA for her MB turrets. But both her belt and her turrets were 7.9" thick at their thickest point. Shouldn't she be either BD-BD or CA-CA?

According to the best reliable information on the Averof, her armor arrangement copied that of her near sisters (Pisa and Amalfi).  The main battery armor ranged from 140mm to 160mmm.  When taken in the aggregate, this would place the armor class for the main battery at the top end of CA.  I have found no reliable reference that supports a heavier armor.  

#4 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 03:18 PM

Let me ask one more question on the Averof. Her 7.5" secondary was made by Armstrong Whitworth (A British gun maker) as were her 9.2" (I believe). Why does she use the RMI gunnery chart for them instead of the RN chart as she does for the 9.2"?

Averof's main battery was 254/45 Armstrong Mk Hs, while her secondary was 190/45 Armstrong Mk Bs.  The secondary guns were the same in all characteristics as those made by Vickers for the RMI's Pisa class.  Thus, Averof would use the RMI CRT for the 7.5". 

It should be noted the 7.5" on RN CRT reflects the 7.5"/50, a longer and more powerful gun.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users