5 replies to this topic

#1 EdMorris

EdMorris

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Post Captain and Age of Sail gaming in general. A friend and I have decided to start with small actions so are concentrating on the War of 1812, we are currently building and painting HMS Shannon and the USS Chesapeake.

I've just purchased one of the packs of ships from Langton's Miniatures which includes a 58 gun (rasée'd 74) which looks to be HMS Saturn https://en.wikipedia...S_Saturn_(1786)

I've had a look through the Ship Cards and I couldn't find any suitable, I also don't feel that I would know what I was doing if I tried to create one myself.

Can anyone help?

#2 ProfGRP

ProfGRP

Private

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:38 AM

Ed,

According to Lavery's The Ship of the Line, HMS Saturn was originally an Arrogant class 74. Arrogant is represented in the file Ship Cards-Squadron Actions R2. You could start with that configuration and modify it by changing the armament, hull, crew, marines and sailing qualities. The most obvious changes would be to eliminate the upper gundeck guns and to increase the 32C's to a 42C's. As a clue to what changes to make, you might compare the ship cards for Agamemnon (64) and Indefatigable (44). Agamemnon was an Ardent class 64, and Indy was a razeed Ardent.

Good luck.

Jerry

#3 EdMorris

EdMorris

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:24 AM

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your response. It didn’t cross my mind to look for a different razeed ship and try to compare them. I’ll see what I can work out.

Thanks again,
Ed

#4 Lonnie Gill

Lonnie Gill

Captain

• ODGW Staff
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:18 PM

G' Day Ed,

Good suggestion Jerry.  You can also find useful data on pages 110-111 of Winfield's British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817.  HMS Saturn wasa a 58 gun razee converted from the original "modified Arrogant" class third rate 74 configuration. After conversion, completed in December 1813, she mounted 28x32 pdrs on her lower deck with 28x42c carronades on  her upper deck, along with two 12 pdrs on her foc'sle for chasers.  These should be converted to Post Captain gun boxes as with other Ship Logs.

Cheers,

LONNIE  

#5 Cpt M

Cpt M

Colonel

• ODGW Retired Staff
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:30 AM

The three ships of the Majestic class were razeed 74s converted in response to the US Navy's big 44 frigates.  Technically, these were actually 2-deck frigates (they kept both gundecks) with the upper deck structure (focsle and quarterdeck) severely cutback.  The revised armament, as noted above, was 28x32 pdrs on her lower deck with 28x42c carronades on  her upper deck, along with two 12 pdrs on her focsle.  

I prepared a ship log for these and was going to attach it to this reply.  Unfortunately, the forum won't allow the attachment.  That said, these three ships in game terms, can be represented by the USS President log by substituting 5 42pdr carronade boxes and 1 12pdr gun box on the main deck (each broadside) and 5 32pdr gun boxes on the gundeck (each broadside).  Additionally, the sailing characteristics would be ordinary (not handy, like President's).  All other elements would remain the same and the ship rating would be a 5th rate 58.    

#6 EdMorris

EdMorris

Private

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 10:51 AM

Thank you! I’ll see how I get on trying to modify the USS President.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users