9 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 26 October 2021 - 01:58 AM

I just found out that the USN by 1941 was using a paint scheme to label its BatDivs. They did this by painting the turret tops of the fore turrets and the rear turret in a divisional color.

BatDiv 1: Red

BatDiv 2: White

BatDiv 3: Blue

BatDiv 4: Black

BatDiv 5: Yellow

I've no idea when they started doing this and I'm wondering if it was already in place by 1937.

#2 healey36

healey36

Major

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:27 AM

Here's some additional info, the drop-dead accuracy of which I can't vouch for. I have, however, run it past a few historians and they have verified much of it:

http://www.researche...ivMarkings.html

No idea when the USN adopted this scheme.

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:23 PM

Do you have any idea when they went to these markings? I'd like to use the same paint scheme for Sudden Storm if it is applicable.

#4 healey36

healey36

Major

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

Stand by...I'll reach out to my contact at USNA or Mark Stille. One of them should know.

#5 healey36

healey36

Major

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:48 PM

Stille didn't know and I haven't yet heard back from USNA. However, a number of sources indicate the decision to paint turret tops originated in 1938, revised a number of times over succeeding review cycles, then reissued in 1940. Best I can tell, paint didn't start getting slathered on until late-1940/early-1941. Here's a copy of one of Kimmel's memos from the web:

http://www.researche...9-7/USL-41.html

Hope this is helpful.

#6 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 11:39 PM

Thanks a lot. I never had any idea that they might have applied it to the cruisers all though when you think about it, it makes sense.

#7 healey36

healey36

Major

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 30 October 2021 - 03:19 PM

Beyond the BBs, how much paint actually went on is a matter of conjecture. I've never seen any of the USN's prewar cruiser classes with painted turret tops, but it might have happened. 

No word from the USNA guys. They are apparently recovering from the celebrations after they knocked off Tulsa.

#8 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:11 AM

Army-Navy in December. All I can is go Army, beat Navy. Sorry, but I didn't spend over 11 years in the Army to favor Navy.

#9 healey36

healey36

Major

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 18 November 2021 - 04:46 PM

I made it to one played in Baltimore., maybe 15-20 years ago. It’s the best football game played each year, hands down.

#10 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:47 PM

Its the only non-Rams game I watch. I served under a bunch of Hudson High grads. They were all good officers IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users