2 replies to this topic

#1 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 20 November 2021 - 01:29 PM

I'm having some of the canceled USN Cherry Tree ships painted for Mike Balch's collection. And I suddenly realized that I have no idea what they looked like. I thought maybe they would have copied the WWI paint scheme of Mid Gray with wood decks, but now that I've found out how wrong I was about the fleet paint scheme in late 41, I've second thoughts. Any of you guys know how they would have been painted in the late 20s through middle 30s. I guess painting them for Sudden Storm makes the most sense.

I haven't really looked that hard on line. The Forum always seems to have someone who knows these things. I guess that goes with the nature of naval wargaming. Anyhow, thanks.

#2 Brooks Witten

Brooks Witten

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas, By God!

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:05 AM

I can only speak on TEXAS

Sometime in 1925-26 at Norfolk Navy Yard,

"Light gray on all horizontal and vertical surfaces except for the decks which are dark blue-gray"

Then in 1935 at Bremerton Navy Yard,

"Haze gray on all vertical and horizontal surfaces except decks which were deck blue."

She retained that until August of 1941 when she was painted in Measure 12 back at Norfolk.

#3 W. Clark

W. Clark

Major

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationOregon, out in the sticks

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:47 PM

Thank you. Well that is the best info I have so far. I'm going to go with the concept that Texas rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users