• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 09:20 PM

ODGW hosted a Game Day at Dragon Fire Comics in Stephens City Va today. It was a great day and fun time. We had Mein Zombien Mein Panzer and Mein Panzer Jr. demos all day. Everyone played games!!
Thanks to Gen for inviting us out!!

pics in gallery

• healey36 likes this

#2 Peter M. Skaar

Peter M. Skaar

Captain

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:02 PM

It is great to see some Mein Panzer and Mein Panzer Jr. being played.  Kenny, what type of scenarios did you run for Mein Panzer?  Thanks for the photos!

#3 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:37 PM

The Mein Panzer demo was just a WWII basic game to teach the game flow and mechanics.  2x Tigers 5x Panthers vs 10x Sherman Jumbos.

#4 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

A few of us made the trip up to Philadelphia last Saturday for the MFCA annual show. It's always a humbling experience seeing the museum-quality figures displayed by the membership, but it gives one something to aspire to, lol.

Anyway, we stopped at the Games Keep in West Chester on the way home. It's probably the best game shop within a hundred miles of me. Quite a few folks in there browsing, but the game room was empty. The hobby seems to need a kick-start following the pandemic mess. There's a place in our local mall, Tables & Towers, which caters to table-top gamers, primarily the Warhammer/Warhammer 40000 crowd. I need to stop in there and ask if they'd accommodate some MP or FAI/GQ3 sessions. Not sure if there's any interest, but it'd be worth asking.

• Kenny Noe likes this

#5 Peter M. Skaar

Peter M. Skaar

Captain

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2022 - 09:06 AM

Thanks Kenny!  Basic is good.  I actually use the advanced rules when I do a demo.  Usually the players seem to catch on pretty quickly.  The biggest thing I have to hammer home to new players is the concept of the bonus move.  I have to make sure they know that can use it before, During, or after your Standard Action.  I do remind them of this periodically during the game. 

Did everyone seem to enjoy the games you ran?  I have managed to get a few Mein Panzer groups together over the years and it looks like I will have to create a new group soon. 

Hi Healey!  What is the MFCA show?  I am curious what that stands for.  Is it like IPMS shows?  I went to one of those here in Phoenix about 18 years ago and was very impressed by models on display.  It seems like you had a great time at least.

#6 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 20 May 2022 - 01:33 PM

MFCA = Miniature Figure Collectors of America; here's their website:

https://www.mfcaclub.com/

The annual meet has been held in the Philadelphia area for as long as I can remember (although at least one year in Wilmington, Delaware). I first attended in 1975, and it was a huge affair. Typically a large display area together with an even larger vendor area (about the size of a couple high school gymnasiums). However, in the last decade, the membership and attendance has really imploded and the show has become much smaller.

I was fortunate to meet the great Shepard Paine at MFCA, a guy whose work still casts a long shadow over the miniature figure hobby. Incredibly skilled, Paine was hired by Monogram at some point back in the 70s to build examples of their models for their box art. One might look at the box art, then the contents of the box, and wonder how it was possible to create something like that from the bits...see example here: http://sheperdpaine....ace.com/p61.htm Paine, however, would take it up a notch. He was brilliant at modifying plastic figures, reposing and refashioning, bending arms, legs, fingers, even opening mouths with the tip of a hot hobby knife. He was unbelievably skilled and inventive...there'll never be another like him. He was equally known for his shadow-boxes, groups of figures assembled into a scene in a box, staged with set lighting...see examples here: http://www.boxdioram.../sheperd-paineĀ 

MFCA was also a good source of toy soldiers, and at one time I had assembled quite a collection, many of them having been purchased at MFCA. About ten or fifteen years ago I jettisoned the bulk of that stuff, hanging onto just a few items. 

Anyway, Peter, if you're ever out this way in May, it's worth a visit. You're a good painter/modeler; I think you'd find it interesting.

#7 Kenny Noe

Kenny Noe

Mein Panzer Guru

• ODGW Staff
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 09:26 AM

Peter,

I much prefer the advance rules as well (but I may be a little bias <grin>)  Once I get players hooked and they have a a little more time, I bring out the Advance Reference Card (or eye chart as I call it [can't be helped]) and go over more "Drop-In" combined arms stuff.  It's always a great conversation and the players are "oh, so the games DOES have {insert command / action}.  Usually it's either a relief that artillery and or Overwatch (OP) fire is accounted for.  LOL

And I also find player have a tenancy to for get the do TWO actions per activation.  Takes me a couple games turns of holding up 2 fingers to get players onboard. 

That's great you are getting a group together. 

We are in the midst of a MPC update re-writing several chapters for clarity, fixing typos, and adding examples of play,  Additionally, we have renamed the 2 modern chapters in MPC from Cold War and Ultra Modern to Mid-Cold War and Late-Cold War.  These chapters are getting their vehicles updated with values that will become the basis of the post-Korea (post-WWII) stats.   I hope to have these chapters ready for release soon.  Keep an eye out for the announcement!

Healey,  The meet sounds interesting,  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the link

#8 healey36

healey36

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • LocationMaryland USA

Posted 21 May 2022 - 04:51 PM

We are in the midst of a MPC update re-writing several chapters for clarity, fixing typos, and adding examples of play,  Additionally, we have renamed the 2 modern chapters in MPC from Cold War and Ultra Modern to Mid-Cold War and Late-Cold War.  These chapters are getting their vehicles updated with values that will become the basis of the post-Korea (post-WWII) stats.   I hope to have these chapters ready for release soon.  Keep an eye out for the announcement!

Thanks for that update, Ken. Looking forward to seeing some more stats for "modern" gear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users